6 week old chiks

ICB42

Chirping
Aug 22, 2015
I have a small flock of Chickens who are about 6 weeks old, the other 3 are 12 weeks old, I know the 12 week olds can be outside, however it is the 6 weeks old I am concerned about, the lows have been in the 50's to 40s (which for Florida, is cold) and I didn't know if they could go outside in that.

Oh yes, the 6 week olds can totally handle it! Oh what I would do for those temps here! That being said, if you are still using a heat lamp on them I would wean them off of that first. Get them used to "normal" inside temps. Mine went from 70 degree temps to 50 degree temps at 5 weeks old, no problem.

Thank you!! We don't have a hearing lamp, they haven't had one since we brought them home and they have been fine... And I'm hating this weather I'm dying for some warmer weather!! This is the first cold snap we've gotten this winter!

Ours have been living in 20 degree weather for a couple of weeks...to be fair, that's cold for here too. Normal is 30's and 40's. Mine are 16 weeks old but have been outside since 5 weeks old, just fine. SO if yours haven't had a heat lamp they should make the transition just fine. As chicken parent YOU may worry about them for the first night or two...
hugs.gif
...don't worry, you'll be fine too!

Haha this is true, well the first night it got down to 47 my hubby didn't bring them in and we lost one. And before that we lost our entire flock of 19 to an unknown killer! So I've been paranoid about leaving them outside! We have since secured our coop, but we have had suck bad luck!!

Back
Top Bottom