6 week old cockerel?

RoKdHen

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 25, 2014
Colorado/Utah
Hi all. New chicken family and I have some concerns. I have 4 Bug Orpington pullets, 2 maybe 3 r cockerels, 4 Plymouth rock pullets not...2 r possible cockerels and 4 Auracana straight run. Well 1 buf and 1 arac, I think r cockerels b/c they face to face fight and I'm worried it will escalate. Any suggestions? These aren't the only 2 that fight but they seem the most serious about it.

Young pullets will flare hackles, bump chests and mock fight just as frequently as cockerels. Comb and wattle size, pointy hackle - sickle - coverlet feathers and crowing are more positive indicators of male gender. Don't get rid of any of those 'cockerels' too soon.

Alright
welcome-byc.gif
great to have you joining the BYC flock
frow.gif

BYC has a very useful learning center
caf.gif

All chicks do that play fighting even the girls and you have
several months before they can hurt each other
jumpy.gif

OK. Good to know. They all trying to figure out their own pecking order. I'm preparing for adolescents and glad to know I've got some time before possible blood shed. We're gonna keep them all until we know who's what. Thanks for sharing your knowledge

images

Welcome to BYC!

Yes, chicks are establishing the pecking order at this age, so you may not be able to tell gender yet. Kelsie gave you the link to the What Gender section so you can post some pics of the suspects.

Enjoy your new birds and welcome to our flock!

Back
Top Bottom