6 week old Silver Laced Wyandotte - Roo or Hen??

FlockO5ive

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 21, 2012
Tampa, FL
I thought when it was young that the feather sexing said roo, then I wasn't sure. But it's feathers are not coming in as fast as my other breeds, which look fully feathered at the same age, and it's waddle and comb are very red and pronounced. Any opinions are welcome. I need to find it a new home if it's a roo and I don't want to wait too long.

My silver laced wyandotte have red combs and are not roos, so I don't think that's an indication. But that is a weird looking chick in comparison to mine, the feathers are much whiter than all the feathers. Also yours is standing rather high, which is rooish. I'd guess a roo, but I wouldn't do anything drastic yet.

No the wing doesn't hang down all the time. It was just moving when I took the pic. I've thought it's feathers looked odd myself. It's purebreed though, I saw it's parents who are beautiful.

RE: his feathers...

I think they just have not fully come in yet. He looks fine to me. I had a SLW roo and 3 hens- he just looks very young- like he has not feathered out yet, but he looks fine.

I thought he was just moving..but then the second picture was the same.

Here is mine ..she is also 6 weeks. I have been worrying that maybe she was a roo...but if I compare to yours I think she is a she. It's interesting the difference in feather pattern. We got ours in a feed store, so probably not the best quality.

Mine is only 4 weeks and it has more feathers then yours and I am pretty sure mine is a roo

as for yours my guess would be roo but I hear this breed is very hard to sex untill older so I would wait a little while before finding it a home.

Back
Top Bottom