6 week old Silver Laced Wyandotte - Roo or Hen??

That is one definite man-child
wink.png

I thought when it was young that the feather sexing said roo, then I wasn't sure. But it's feathers are not coming in as fast as my other breeds, which look fully feathered at the same age, and it's waddle and comb are very red and pronounced. Any opinions are welcome. I need to find it a new home if it's a roo and I don't want to wait too long.

Yes, he's a roo and he's going to be really stunning too once he's fully feathered in. I didn't want a roo either and gave one away last year. This year got ended up with another roo and I've decided I just better keep the boy. They are just so stunning and really take care of their ladies all of the time.
I thought he was just moving..but then the second picture was the same.

Here is mine ..she is also 6 weeks. I have been worrying that maybe she was a roo...but if I compare to yours I think she is a she. It's interesting the difference in feather pattern. We got ours in a feed store, so probably not the best quality.

She won't have the same feathering as the roo but you will still love her.
Yeah i think yours is a roo i think, hes gonna be a handsome little fella but deffo roo.
This is my wyandotte at 13 weeks and her wattles are just coming through...

See looks so scared trying to find out what you are doing there.

Thank you everyone. It's sad I can't have a roo because he will be so pretty but he will go backto the farm I got him from.

Seeing the other pics makes me def think its a roo.

Definitely a roo. Here's a pic of my hen at 4 months old, her comb and what she has of wattles in this pic are red, but her wattles aren't big at all.
I will have to get some new pics of them all seeing as they are now almost 6 months, and she has a bigger comb & wattles.

Also, here's a pic of two of my Golden Laced girls at about 7 or 8 weeks. No wattles yet, and minimal redness.

I just asked the same question yesterday about this little one............. The comb and wattles are a dark orange and not red...does that make a difference?

Kristiann93,

How old is your chick, and does it have a rose comb or a single comb? It looks like a single comb in that pic.
She...or he....should be 6 weeks on Wednesday and all my SLW's have single combs. I noticed 2 of them have noticeably larger combs that are a dark orange, while my other chicks of diff breeds don't have much of anything. I orderd them through Runnings Farm and Fleet store who gets them from a hatchery in Iowa. As I'm reading I'm finding that where you get them can make a difference in their combs, feathers etc...is this true?? I don't want a Roo but I don't want to get rid of he/she yet until I know for sure what he/she is. I've become attached rather quickly!! :)

She...or he....should be 6 weeks on Wednesday and all my SLW's have single combs. I noticed 2 of them have noticeably larger combs that are a dark orange, while my other chicks of diff breeds don't have much of anything. I orderd them through Runnings Farm and Fleet store who gets them from a hatchery in Iowa. As I'm reading I'm finding that where you get them can make a difference in their combs, feathers etc...is this true?? I don't want a Roo but I don't want to get rid of he/she yet until I know for sure what he/she is. I've become attached rather quickly!! :)

Here's pics of two of the roo's I got rid of. They were around 8 or 9 weeks old at the time. I have never had any Wyandottes with single combs, but I heard it is common for some hatchery stock. Also, the males usually always feather in slower than the females. Your little one does look like a roo to me, but Wyandottes are a little tough to sex sometimes. I would wait a few more weeks to be honest, and if you hear him/her trying to crow, then you definitely know. LOL!

That's for sure a roo. a pullet shouldn't be that red that young, and the feathers on my birds didn't take that long to come in at all o.o

The one on the left is a roo and the other two you can see are hens. They were around 6 weeks in the picture.

Here's pics of two of the roo's I got rid of. They were around 8 or 9 weeks old at the time. I have never had any Wyandottes with single combs, but I heard it is common for some hatchery stock. Also, the males usually always feather in slower than the females. Your little one does look like a roo to me, but Wyandottes are a little tough to sex sometimes. I would wait a few more weeks to be honest, and if you hear him/her trying to crow, then you definitely know. LOL!

Oh yeah, mine definitely have different combs than yours...which I'm assuming your's aren't from a hatchery?? My questionable one is pretty well feathered already...not at all slow in that area. I have a little one that I know for sure is a pullet and she is slower than this one. It's all so confusing to me. I wish it was easier to figure this stuff out. I was just as confused with my rabbits and had to have a little boy who shows rabbits in 4H to come check it out for me. Turns out our Max and Ruby are really MaxINE and Ruby...which is good. Anyways....I guess in time we will find out what this little chick may be!
ps....silly question....how do you get your info on the bottom of your posts...such as what kinds of chickens, kids, dogs etc?

Back
Top Bottom