6 week old turkey with bubbles under wing? Has anyone ever seen this?

my 5 week old chick has these kind of air sack under her wing at the joint, but they expand and contract when she breaths. She has been injured for 2 days now, starting with limping around on one foot, now she can't get up without crying. I have her separate from the others and in her own pin, so she doesn't get further injured. I have been searching her for any sign of injuring , but can't find anything, then today I found these expanding air pockets under her wing. is it normal for these pockets to expand when breathing?

my  5 week old chick has these kind of air sack under her wing at the joint, but they expand and contract when she breaths. She has been injured for 2 days now, starting with limping around on one foot, now she can't get up without crying. I have her separate from the others and in her own pin, so she doesn't get further injured. I have been searching her for any sign of injuring , but can't find anything, then today I found these expanding air pockets under her wing. is it normal for these pockets to expand when breathing?

Welcome to BYC! Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

Have had a couple do that... Think it's called Subcutaneous Emphysema. Mine looked like this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/828000/subcutaneous-emphysema-pictures-added

The red spot is from where I poked it with a needle

AIR SAC RUPTURE

Birds have a series of air sacs located internally. These are in the neck area (cervical air sacs), the chest (thoracic air sacs) and in the belly (abdominal air sacs). These areas are part of a bird's breathing system and help the bird receive oxygen from the air in a highly efficient manner. They also help provide the lightness and buoyancy needed for flight. Occasionally, one of these air sacs may rupture (usually due to injury) and air will leak from the sac and accumulate under the bird's skin. This condition is known as subcutaneous emphysema. This accumulation must be removed, or the air sac may tear even further.

WHAT TO DO
Clean the skin over the swelling with a disinfectant on a cotton ball. Take a small scissors or a needle and make a tiny hole in the skin. This allows the air to escape. This may need to be done several times before the air is released. It has been shown that air sacs normally repair themselves within two weeks. However, if you see no improvement within a day or two, your avian veterinarian should see the bird. it is probably a good idea to have the bird seen anyway.

http://www.centerforavianrehab.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14&Itemid=19

-Kathy
Thanks, very good info. Just had on with this, picked the thickest area, applied light coco butter, lanced maybe an 1/8" slot with a sterilized razor blade. Poof, the "balloon" deflated. I don't think the turkey even felt it. I had thought for sure he was going to die. Thanks again.

Thanks, very good info. Just had on with this, picked the thickest area, applied light coco butter, lanced maybe an 1/8" slot with a sterilized razor blade. Poof, the "balloon" deflated. I don't think the turkey even felt it. I had thought for sure he was going to die. Thanks again.
Welcome to BYC! So glad this was helpful and glad your poult recovered!

I'm new to the board. I love this place. Anyway, yesterday I was outside with my babies messing with them and I lifted the wing of one and he had like 2 bubble looking things under his wing, right where his wing connects with his body. They really looked like air bubbles of some sort. They were soft and not hard. He doesn't act sick or anything. I was just curious is anyone else has ever seen anything like it. I called the vet and he is suppose to call me back. Oh..and he is 6 weeks old bronze turkey I bought from Atwoods. Anyway, any information would be greatly appreciated. I have googled and googled and can't find anything about this.
sad.png
I've looked it up and according to a couple of sites it's something to do with a rupture in the air sack and it can affect their respiratory system if it keeps occurring then you might want to talk to a vet and they should show you what to do with it

Back
Top Bottom