6 week old with red eye

Donnasaur

Hatching
May 29, 2017
We got this and one other baby together. One is acting normally - eating well, comb is pink, eyes look normal. This one has a red eye and is acting super lethargic. Can anyone tell what's wrong with it? They are super sweet birds. I moved this one away from the other and our other chickens. Hoping there's something we can do to help this one back to normal. We are new to raising chickens.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• IMG_0303.JPG
    IMG_0303.JPG
    368.5 KB · Views: 35
Separate her in case it's a disease. But I think she is getting picked on by the other chick and maybe pecking her eyes but you can't really do much to heal her you can give her some electrolytes in her water and let her heal on her own

She did perk up once I took her outside for a bit. Watched her eat a few bugs and run around the yard. Still worried about that eye, though. Thanks to anyone who can give us a clue!

Hi @Donnasaur :frow Welcome To BYC

The tissue surrounding the eye looks a bit swollen. This can be caused by a number of things - a peck to the eye, getting debris/dust in the eye and respiratory illness are usually the most common causes.

General eye care is to flush the eye with saline and apply Terramycin eye ointment or Vetericyn eye gel to the eye.

When flushing, look for any obvious debris, wounds/injury, etc.

If caused by bacterial infection, conjunctivitis or respiratory illness she may need further treatment if the eye and swelling doesn't improve or worsens. Hopefully the flushing and ointment will be all you need to do.

Keep us posted.

Hi @Donnasaur :frow Welcome To BYC

The tissue surrounding the eye looks a bit swollen. This can be caused by a number of things - a peck to the eye, getting debris/dust in the eye and respiratory illness are usually the most common causes.

General eye care is to flush the eye with saline and apply Terramycin eye ointment or Vetericyn eye gel to the eye.

When flushing, look for any obvious debris, wounds/injury, etc.

If caused by bacterial infection, conjunctivitis or respiratory illness she may need further treatment if the eye and swelling doesn't improve or worsens. Hopefully the flushing and ointment will be all you need to do.

Keep us posted.
Thank you so much! Where can I find the things you mentioned? Would a feed store/vet office/online/etc. have what I need?

You can most likely find either one at Tractor Supply or your local feed store. Of course I'm sure you can find them at Amazon or vet supplies online too.

Vetericyn Ophthalmic Gel

p-78947-86343K.jpg

Terramycin
x8345-1-terramycin-eye-ointment-for-dogs-cats.jpg.pagespeed.ic.T2Pbf8NfK-.jpg

Thanks! I found it at tractor supply and little Violet had her first application. Hoping this will help some. I also got her some electrolytes just in case she still seems to be sick. I appreciate everyone's advice and I'm trying not to be too worried about her.

Back
Top Bottom