6 week olds trained to go to coop at dusk!

Just wanted to let y'all know that all of them are free-ranging and the hens don't bother the chicks at all.  I really didn't have a problem at all.  The hens chased them away if they got close but that was only for a day.  They free-range in separate groups but are fine when all together.  Thanks everyone!

That is great news! I think free range chickens are all around happier because they have wiggle room:)

Yeah i've been putting their food and water up in the coop with them on a night when Iock them in. Going to put them in before it gets too dark tonight as it has been quite dark the last 2 nights, hopefully they won't be as scared :idunno

When it's darker in the coop than in the run, they will stay in the light... Until they figure it all out! Do you have a window in the coop to allow light in? Since the weather is warm, I just keep the people door open until they are on the roost...but mine free range.

Yeah the coop has a window. I will be letting them out to free range but they are only just nearly 6 weeks so I am keeping them in the coop for a few more weeks as they need to get used to it as I must lock them in there on a night as I wouldn't trust the wildlife

Wow, our young chickens (8-16 weeks) have been home for a couple days and put themselves to bed practically by day 2!

Hopefully tomorrow my 8 week old chick and duck will go into their big house. They are gonna Have an attached run for daytime use When I'm at work. I was hoping to let them free range sometimes when I'm outisde watching. Only problem is I'm terrified They will wander away and wont come back. Is it instinct for them to return? My others are 2 weeks And still too tiny for outside in my opinion (They are spoiled)

Hopefully tomorrow my 8 week old chick and duck will go into their big house. They are gonna Have an attached run for daytime use When I'm at work. I was hoping to let them free range sometimes when I'm outisde watching. Only problem is I'm terrified They will wander away and wont come back. Is it instinct for them to return? My others are 2 weeks And still too tiny for outside in my opinion (They are spoiled)

Mine stayed really close and then they had a pattern to stay close to the house and circle around right back to their house. I don't think they will run away, but they will hide under bushes or in my case, under the deck!
Best of luck;-) I love my fuzzy babies too!

I have been letting my chicks out of their coop the past few days for a few hours in the late afternoon and i've been puting them back each night, I thought i'd leave them to it tonight to see what they would do and the clever little chicks put themselves to bed!! I'm sooo proud
ya.gif

I have been letting my chicks out of their coop the past few days for a few hours in the late afternoon and i've been puting them back each night, I thought i'd leave them to it tonight to see what they would do and the clever little chicks put themselves to bed!! I'm sooo proud
ya.gif
We left all 4 of our new babies out. the youngest were 8 weeks and they put themselves to bed. Exciting, isn't it?

I have been letting my chicks out of their coop the past few days for a few hours in the late afternoon and i've been puting them back each night, I thought i'd leave them to it tonight to see what they would do and the clever little chicks put themselves to bed!! I'm sooo proud :ya

:D WOO HOO!!!!!:D

Back
Top Bottom