6 week olds trained to go to coop at dusk!

I read this thread a few weeks ago so when I put my chicks in their big pen I knew to leave them in it for a week. Then I started letting them out in their run and they'd go back to their roosting area at night time. Like some of you said though, their night time and mine is different. I like them to be IN the roosting area before it gets too dark so they can see how to get in there but they will stay out as long as they can and then fuss and carry on who gets to get where in the corner as they bundle up on the floor of their pen. They have a very nice roost they refuse to use and as hot as it is here now they still pile up in a wad! Last night was their first night with no light, so I go out there to check on them before I go to bed thinking they're all out there giving me down the road for not having their light on and they're all just as quite as they could be. I bout fell out I was so shocked! I was talking to them before I got to their pen so I didn't freak them out. Anyway I let them free range a little while before dark a couple times and I always have 1-3 that don't want to come back in when I need them to. I guess I just need to take me a flash light out there so I will have it to walk back to the house with after dark because they really push it. But most of them are IN their pen getting ready to go to sleep. They're a hoot!

Man it's funny how they change as they get older. They're all on the roost now and going in on their own from the run when they're not free ranging.
When they're free ranging it's dusk before they go inside but they will go inside. I started leaving a light on in there just so they could see where to go and then I go out and shut the gate and close their back gate as well so they will be safely penned up for the night. They're doing really well and I'm excited!

Back
Top Bottom