6 week pekin duck hip problem/feet

Puzak0917

Hatching
Apr 13, 2021
Hello! Looking for advice. I've searched and searched and can not find my specific issue. I have 6 pekin ducks, around 6 weeks. I've noticed recently that one of my babies was tripping over its own feet. It's hips are popping out, causing the feet to turn inward. I am and have been feeding duck feed with nician and have given a little extra because I figured after researching that it was a nician deficiency. Also give peas as a snack and do swim time daily. The poor thing can barely walk since it trips on its feet constantly. It is not splayed feet and its not simply that the foot in turned in. I have no idea what else to try. I've read about splitting, but not sure how to do that when its hips are the issue. Any advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• 20210413_123247.jpg
    20210413_123247.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 118
  • 20210413_123229.jpg
    20210413_123229.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 20210413_123336.jpg
    20210413_123336.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 58
Hello! Looking for advice. I've searched and searched and can not find my specific issue. I have 6 pekin ducks, around 6 weeks. I've noticed recently that one of my babies was tripping over its own feet. It's hips are popping out, causing the feet to turn inward. I am and have been feeding duck feed with nician and have given a little extra because I figured after researching that it was a nician deficiency. Also give peas as a snack and do swim time daily. The poor thing can barely walk since it trips on its feet constantly. It is not splayed feet and its not simply that the foot in turned in. I have no idea what else to try. I've read about splitting, but not sure how to do that when its hips are the issue. Any advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks
I'll tag @Isaac 0 as they know more about ducks then me. If you are providing proper feed and nician I'm not sure what it could be.

The fact that you have been providing a duck feed, with added niacin, and have not noted any other similar symptoms within the flock might suggest the problem is genetically inherited and is not related to your husbandry practices.

Since niacin deficiencies are so common in large heavyweight breeds, it would not hurt to supplement the bird with niacin, and it may help with overall leg health as well. An injectable form of niacin can be found at your feed store - I suggest giving the duck 1ml daily over treats.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/durvet-hi-level-vitamin-b-complex

I cannot actually see much of the duck's legs from the pictures you provided, but from what you've described, and what I can see - it sounds very much similar to a varus deformity, which will cause the femur (hip area) to bow out, and the feet to cross over.

1618345192351.png

Varus deformity, or bowed- legs can occur be due to genetic abnormalities, incorrect husbandry practices, and several mineral/vitamin deficiencies. Over the internet, I don't think anyone will be able to tell you the exact cause, but you may try treating for mineral/vitamin deficiencies, instead of just supplementing with niacin. Poultry Nutri-Dench, Poultry Cell, or Sav-A-Chick are all suitable products and can be found at your feed store.

Pekins are especially predisposed to leg problems due to their fast growth rate, therefore, attempts to lower the growth rate may prove beneficial. Decreasing the amount of daylight, and feeding a feed lower in protein should slow growth rate. Abrasions and sores can develop on the legs of ducks affected with a leg problem so efforts to practice water therapy daily, and when not in water provide a soft cushioned floor would be beneficial. If the legs are manipulate-able you could attempt to put a splint, but doing so when the legs are too stiff could lead to a loss of circulation to the legs.

The fact that you have been providing a duck feed, with added niacin, and have not noted any other similar symptoms within the flock might suggest the problem is genetically inherited and is not related to your husbandry practices.

Since niacin deficiencies are so common in large heavyweight breeds, it would not hurt to supplement the bird with niacin, and it may help with overall leg health as well. An injectable form of niacin can be found at your feed store - I suggest giving the duck 1ml daily over treats.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/durvet-hi-level-vitamin-b-complex

I cannot actually see much of the duck's legs from the pictures you provided, but from what you've described, and what I can see - it sounds very much similar to a varus deformity, which will cause the femur (hip area) to bow out, and the feet to cross over.

View attachment 2614673

Varus deformity, or bowed- legs can occur be due to genetic abnormalities, incorrect husbandry practices, and several mineral/vitamin deficiencies. Over the internet, I don't think anyone will be able to tell you the exact cause, but you may try treating for mineral/vitamin deficiencies, instead of just supplementing with niacin. Poultry Nutri-Dench, Poultry Cell, or Sav-A-Chick are all suitable products and can be found at your feed store.

Pekins are especially predisposed to leg problems due to their fast growth rate, therefore, attempts to lower the growth rate may prove beneficial. Decreasing the amount of daylight, and feeding a feed lower in protein should slow growth rate. Abrasions and sores can develop on the legs of ducks affected with a leg problem so efforts to practice water therapy daily, and when not in water provide a soft cushioned floor would be beneficial. If the legs are manipulate-able you could attempt to put a splint, but doing so when the legs are too stiff could lead to a loss of circulation to the legs.
Spot on! Thats exactly how he/she looks! Thank you for providing me with information!

I've got a duck with same symptoms. I don't know what to do. I'm hoping someone will have an answer.

Back
Top Bottom