6 weeks and not walking anymore

Minky

Crowing
6 Years
Nov 4, 2017
Ontario
So i have 25 White Rock Cornish X.
They are 6 weeks 2 days old.
They have been in the tractor since just before 3 weeks.
Its 8x8 (64 sq feet) moved twice a day.
All organic feed.

Havent lost any. Although they are ugly and a few are still not feathers out on butts and body.

One did not move today when I moved the tractor, so I let him eat on the lawn, and gave him food and water as he lay there. When I came back an hour later he had moved the 3 feet so he was beside the tractor, so he can move- just wont be able to fight for food. So I will keep an eye out and give him food each day. Processing is 11 days away still.

Any ideas to help this bird make the processing date? I could separate him in a foldable brooder...just a PITA. thoughts? Can they hobble around for as long as 2 weeks like that?

Starvation diet, IMMEDIATELY. STOP feeding their grain-based feed (may as well do the whole tractor - if one went lame, more will follow!) Give ONLY water and forage (greens) until they are strong again.

I have had this issue before raising these chicks, and this treatment works! Also, several months ago, I was given an older cornish x hen who'd gone lame; my friend gave her to me because she isn't capable of euthanizing, and she figured at least we would get a nice chicken dinner out of her. Well, I had other ideas! I put her in the tub, gave her only water for 24 hours. Then, I fed her ONLY greens until the day she FLEW out of the tub! She has long since been back on commercial feed, but is on a restricted diet and is now the head lady in my sustainable meat chicken project :)

Hmmm ... ok. Well the last couple of days I was leaving a little pile of food beside him. I dont want to starve healthy meat birds- the whole point is to let them grow- right? Processing date is next week!! But I will stop leaving piles of food for that one bird, and see how he does on a few lean days of only grass.

Hmmm ... ok. Well the last couple of days I was leaving a little pile of food beside him. I dont want to starve healthy meat birds- the whole point is to let them grow- right? Processing date is next week!! But I will stop leaving piles of food for that one bird, and see how he does on a few lean days of only grass.

The problem with these birds is that they are bred to eat and eat and eat, then grow and grow and grow... The problem is, they can't stop eating as long as the food is available (the "I'm full" switch has been bred out of them) which leads to obesity. I can assure you that cutting off grains will not starve them in the least - if you were to butcher that little fella right now, you would find many pockets of more than ample fat stores! He/she/they don't know that they're eating themselves to death, they just do it. And even when they can't move anymore, they continue to eat - it's just in their programming, they can't help it. But cutting off/restricting feed will not hurt in the least, and as far as carcass will only make it a bit leaner (less fat) ;)

The bird can't walk. He's not gonna make it to "processing day." You can either process him asap or have one less bird (wasted bird) come "processing day".

Im not doing it myself and butcher dates get booked 3-4 months in advance around here.

Starvation diet, IMMEDIATELY. STOP feeding their grain-based feed (may as well do the whole tractor - if one went lame, more will follow!) Give ONLY water and forage (greens) until they are strong again.

I have had this issue before raising these chicks, and this treatment works! Also, several months ago, I was given an older cornish x hen who'd gone lame; my friend gave her to me because she isn't capable of euthanizing, and she figured at least we would get a nice chicken dinner out of her. Well, I had other ideas! I put her in the tub, gave her only water for 24 hours. Then, I fed her ONLY greens until the day she FLEW out of the tub! She has long since been back on commercial feed, but is on a restricted diet and is now the head lady in my sustainable meat chicken project :)
I thought chickens are carnivores and a strict greens diet wouldn't give them the nutrients? Kind of like feeding a shark only lettuce.

I thought chickens are carnivores and a strict greens diet wouldn't give them the nutrients? Kind of like feeding a shark only lettuce.
Chickens are omnivores, actually. And btw, commercial feed has zero animal protein so unless you're pasturing/free-ranging, your chickens are eating vegetarian. Greens only forces them to use their fat stores for energy, which allows them to lose weight so they can stand up again.

Back
Top Bottom