6 wk old chick with ripped off toe and swollen foot / leg

kellypepperk

Songster
7 Years
May 30, 2012
Delaware County, NY
One of our Barred Rocks must have gotten her toe stuck in a corner joint of the chicken coop - we just thought she was snuggled down in the nook to be comfy. We think she was there for a part of a day and over night. My hubby found her in the same place this morning and tried to scoot her out. Her toe was hanging by a thread and her foot and leg are swollen. We were advised by the hatchery to cut the toe off and apply triple antibiotic ointment. She's eating and drinking and trying to put weight on it, but what else can or should we do for her?

Nothing. Keep the foot clean, coated in Neosporin, and she should be fine. Chickens lose toes all the time. It's not a big deal.

Good luck.

Thank you Flock Mistress, I was at work when I got this response and it made me feel much better. I also met a country folk friend that just crossed my path recommended Icthamol ointment. I remember this stuff from my childhood. We have it on the swollen part of the foot and lightly wrapped. She's content (took a nap on Daddy's chest) and eating and drinking and pooping just fine. I think we'll make it through this...
It's difficult to care so much!

Well, "Lucky" seems just fine except that with our pampering she refuses to go back to general population so we now have a porch chicken. And, she has the privilige of going to my daughter's school on Monday. She is s.p.o.i.l.e.d.!!

Back
Top Bottom