6 year old can't walk - appetite good, still pooping

MandS

Songster
8 Years
Apr 14, 2016
Berkshire, UK
Nella is over 6 years old and a little Ameraucana. She couldn't stand up yesterday at all, so I guessed it might be a stuck egg pressing on the sciatic nerve (had that before). Gave her a warm bath in Epsom Salts and a half a TUMS. Put her to bed and thought that might be the last I saw of her.

This morning, she had laid a soft shelled egg (fully intact) - she rarely lays, only about once every two months or so. She even stood up, fully on her feet, not her elbows, although she couldn't do it for long.

Her appetite was fine. She ate a full bowl of mash and later I gave her a scrambled egg, which again, she ate the whole thing. I have seen her do 6 big poops too, some runny (but she was drinking and eating wet mash, others more normal looking.

As the day has progressed, I put her outside and most times, she sat around, occasionally moving to get shade etc. This evening I have massaged her rear again and also gently massaged her legs. However she is losing the ability to stand for any length of time. She is also panting (which could be because I held her to massage her for about 10 mins) and it is 25'C / 77'F here.

One thing I noticed is a hard round lump on her left side in the abdomen. I don't know what it is but it is like a small pebble about half an inch or so across. Is this the duodenum? Her crop is full, so she has eaten just about anything I put in front of her, although she is not eating or drinking now - probably because she has had enough.

Apart from letting her have another quiet night, I have not bathed her today. If she makes it to tomorrow and looks like she can get through a bath, I'll try again.

She isn't reporting any pain on massage and is preening herself. I have had a hen get an egg stuck and she lost the ability to walk, however once the egg came out, she recovered her ability to walk after about 4 or 5 hours. So I am a bit stumped here.

Anyone had anything similar or know what I can/should do to help her?

Thanks in advance.

6 years is a long life for any chicken, have you tried mixing cayenne pepper in her food? That seemed to help loosen my birds up and get them moving. Hopefully she gets threw it, if she gets worse then it's time.....

Thanks - yes she is old and has been through a fairly eventful life. Fabulous little girl.

She is pooping pretty well, so I am not sure it is a blockage. I'll keep an eye out for it. I think it is something to do with her nervous system or possibly an issue caused by her straining to push out a soft egg.

She isn't panting any more - seems quite happy and clucked at me as I went to check on her. So presume I overheated her during the massage.

Still, the problem remains. She cannot stand up for any length of time, but at least she can now get up off her elbows, which she simply couldn't yesterday.

She cannot stand up for any length of time, but at least she can now get up off her elbows, which she simply couldn't yesterday.
Consider making her a chair..

1660845504491.png

1660845525107.png

1660845574735.png

Also consider nutritional supplementation instead of cayenne. B complex helps tons. We have option like nutri drench, poultry cell, and poultry booster in the US.. but I'm not sure what may be available in your location.

What is her current feed.. protein and calcium levels of the mash?

Hope she recovers quickly! :fl

Thanks for your help. When she went to bed last night, she was quite weak. She couldn't really stand and ended up slumped against the side of the coup. I didn't expect her to make the night, so said my goodbyes.

I'm delighted to say that this morning, she was still here and able to walk. She even did a little bit of digging. Her appetite was good and she took herself to a nesting box (which she actually moved between two until she was totally happy) and stayed there for a good hour or more.

She seems to be almost back to normal after 2 days of not being able to stand.

So if this helps others, here's my thoughts.

She tried to pay a soft shelled egg. I think whatever she did, she upset her sciatic nerve and it affected her ability to stand (let alone walk). So we bathed her in warm Epson Salts and have her half a calcium tablet, then put her in a dark place. I also managed her abdomen (gently) and also managed her thighs.

So there can be hope and if yours is having difficulty, persevere. I also made sure that she had good and drink. Her appetite was good and so I have her wet mash, which she wolfed down. Keeping her hydrated and fed contributed to her regaining her mobility.

Thanks for all help.

Here she is yesterday and today. She really looked pathetic yesterday and is so different today.

PXL_20220817_081100613~2.jpg
Screenshot_20220819-190840.png

Here we are a month later and she is now back in the same situation. She cannot stand and uses her wings to try to keep herself upright.

I have separated her and am keeping her indoors. She may have a tiny egg again (about the size of a pigeon egg when they come out - which is very rarely). Last time she passed one, she could walk again. Last night I noticed her doing little spasms like she was trying to push something out. We gave her a warm bath in Epsom Salts and a half TUMS, but nothing.

Haven't managed to do it today as I didn't have the time but I will tomorrow.

The good news is her appetite is fine. She also is pooping fine - big ones, mainly solid and with a good urate white cap on them.

Her leg muscles seem almost non-existent. Don't know what to do there. We have made a sling for her to fit in which will allow her legs to hang down because currently she is just sitting/lying on them.

This time last week she was asserting her dominance over the 9 new chickens (and successfully - she ended up queen of the roost). Then 2 days ago, I noticed her sitting and unable to get up - yet she came down the stairs from the sleeping area fine that morning and went straight to the food.

Again, any advice would be great.

Back
Top Bottom