6 year old rooster ...can walk in the morning

hooberbloo

In the Brooder
Nov 16, 2016
Have a dumb question...I have a beloved pet rooster that is a little over 6 years old. In recent months he acts as though his feet are painful, especially in the morning. When I first would put him out for the day, he was obviously in some pain ( droopy tail , raised neck feathers )...but after walking around a bit he would be better by evening. Yesterday, when I took him out, he immediately staggered a few steps then sat down. He didn't move much at all during the day. Last night I removed his perch and let him sit in shavings instead ....does this sound like arthritis ( I don't know if 6 is ancient for a chicken or not ), or are there deficiencies or diseases I should research? If there is pain med useful for this, I actually work for a vet who can give cortisone, etc. if that is helpful...but he is not familiar with how to treat birds. Thanks in advance for any insight.

Welcome to BYC, and your question is not dumb. We all own chickens here, and try to help by sharing our experience. Most of us are amateurs, not professional experts. What type of feed does he get? Roosters don't need the large amount of calcium contained in layer feed, and some may develop gout. A flock raiser type feed is more suited to non-laying birds, and a bowl of crushed oyster shell on the side for the layers in the flock. I would check the bottoms of his foot pads for any swelling or dark scabs, which could be bumble foot infection. Also check his leg joints for swelling. Arthritis can be caused by age, or by infections, such as in mycoplasma or other bacteria and viruses. Some vets will prescribe metacam for inflammation and pain. You instead could try some aspirin in his feed or water. Leg or hip injuries can also be a problem. My 5 year old rooster has been lying around more commonly since he started his molt this fall. If vet care is a possibility and affordable, you might get more help and suggestions for medication. Let us know how he gets along.

Back
Top Bottom