6 Year Old Turkey with "Cheesy" Bits in Poop

greercecilia

In the Brooder
Jul 27, 2018
Hello!
My turkey Sweet Pea has done two of these poops over the past two weeks. She is currently inside due to an arthritic joint that she won't use, she is on carprofen 2x daily and sometimes tramadol. I rub a lotion on her hocks 2x daily that contains glucosamine, boswellia and arnica.
These cheese-like chunks in her poop are alarming! Are they a sign of a reproductive issue? She barely lays and definitely not now as it is winter. Hoping someone has seen these before and knows what they signify. They look like soaked chickpeas in an otherwise regular poop.
Thank you!

Attachments

• SYxd9oiPT2ab5Me5msQkDA.jpg
    SYxd9oiPT2ab5Me5msQkDA.jpg
    324 KB · Views: 14
  • Bx3UsSLbSiO1sqtXCTGDfQ.jpg
    Bx3UsSLbSiO1sqtXCTGDfQ.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 5
Sweet pea has got a sweet name and I'm sorry she's not feeling too well...

I'm not very familiar with turkeys, but that looks like solid bird pus. Possibly a lash egg type thing (assuming turkeys can get those) where pus forms around an infection in the oviduct. If they continue I'd guess she needs an antibiotic.

I don't have a clue what it is. I have the same thing my Australorp is "pooping" she hasn't been laying since her hard molt, and winter here as well. If you figure it out, let me know! If you find my post, you can see everything I've already tried. Vet still hasn't been able to tell me what's going on.

Hello!
My turkey Sweet Pea has done two of these poops over the past two weeks. She is currently inside due to an arthritic joint that she won't use, she is on carprofen 2x daily and sometimes tramadol. I rub a lotion on her hocks 2x daily that contains glucosamine, boswellia and arnica.
These cheese-like chunks in her poop are alarming! Are they a sign of a reproductive issue? She barely lays and definitely not now as it is winter. Hoping someone has seen these before and knows what they signify. They look like soaked chickpeas in an otherwise regular poop.
Thank you!
I heard back from my vet just now, they’re going under the assumption that it’s a lash egg. Supposedly there isn’t really a test to confirm it. My girl starts antibiotics tomorrow as soon as I can pick them up. Maybe it’s the same for your Sweet Pea. He also recommended limiting lighting to 8-10 hrs a day if possible.

Sweet pea has got a sweet name and I'm sorry she's not feeling too well...

I'm not very familiar with turkeys, but that looks like solid bird pus. Possibly a lash egg type thing (assuming turkeys can get those) where pus forms around an infection in the oviduct. If they continue I'd guess she needs an antibiotic.
I heard back from my vet just now, they’re going under the assumption that it’s a lash egg. Supposedly there isn’t really a test to confirm it. My girl starts antibiotics tomorrow as soon as I can pick them up. Maybe it’s the same for your Sweet Pea. He also recommended limiting lighting to 8-10 hrs a day if possible.
Okay! I am going to email my vet as well. What antibiotics is your girl on?

My vet had prescribed us clindamycin for any potential joint infection, and she said to give that a try for the lash eggs.

Thank you everyone for your help! I'm always so overwhelmed with good feelings when I come on here and everyone is so helpful about the birds I love so much! And so much bird love and care in general. xo

You know what I just realized! Since she's been inside, I've been using my SAD light for her to mimick real sunlight - that must be messing with her body! Geez, I'm glad you said that about limiting sunlight!
Thanks again all.

My vet had prescribed us clindamycin for any potential joint infection, and she said to give that a try for the lash eggs.

Thank you everyone for your help! I'm always so overwhelmed with good feelings when I come on here and everyone is so helpful about the birds I love so much! And so much bird love and care in general. xo

You know what I just realized! Since she's been inside, I've been using my SAD light for her to mimick real sunlight - that must be messing with her body! Geez, I'm glad you said that about limiting sunlight!
Thanks again all.
I don't know enough about them yet to really offer advice, but I'm glad I was able to help someone else out for once! Hope Sweet Pea is doing better!

Back
Top Bottom