6 yr old hen swollen red belly, penguin walk

She is just beautiful except for the belly. Bright red comb. Shiny feathers.Eating. Running. Do you think aspirin water might give her any relief?
If she's quite perky, eating/drinking, moving about, not having trouble breathing, etc. etc., then you may want to consider observing her for a while longer.
That's up to you, if you feel she's in pain and fluid needs to be drained.
I would not offer any aspirin.

The fluid can be anywhere from a clear color to dark, it depends on what condition is causing the fluid. The links below @TwoCrows has a great post on draining, the next post she hits on color of the fluid.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sick-chicken-with-big-belly.1204480/post-19098770
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sick-chicken-with-big-belly.1204480/post-19098784

I've watched the video on how to drain fluid. I feel my hen would benefit from this if I can do it. My question is, what if the fluid is not yellow and/or has blood in it? Do I stop or try to continue to relieve some pressure even if it is bloody? Also would this be better done close to evening so they go to roost after and aren't walking around potentially getting the area dirty and give the puncture site time to heal?
Sorry your girl is ailing. :hugs If her belly is hard, you won't be able to draw anything out through a syringe, you will only stress her. Only the soft balloon bellies drain. I had a hen with a hard belly years ago. Nothing seemed to help her medicine wise. Eventually she had difficulty breathing so I had her put down. Unfortunately the outcome for these types of situation is always grim.

I agree with Wyorp and the option of draining. However, I have learned from my Vet tech daughter that animals especially prey type are programmed to not show pain. If they do, they are picked off by a predator. So they hide a lot of pain. Just keep that in mind. By the time an animal exhibits their real pain, they are very bad off.

If it doesn't look like it should feel good, it probably doesn't.

Aspirin and pain relievers in this kind of case only prolongs the inevitable.

LofMc

If she's quite perky, eating/drinking, moving about, not having trouble breathing, etc. etc., then you may want to consider observing her for a while longer.
That's up to you, if you feel she's in pain and fluid needs to be drained.
I would not offer any aspirin.

The fluid can be anywhere from a clear color to dark, it depends on what condition is causing the fluid. The links below @TwoCrows has a great post on draining, the next post she hits on color of the fluid.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sick-chicken-with-big-belly.1204480/post-19098770
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/sick-chicken-with-big-belly.1204480/post-19098784
So we have been draining fluid from her abdomen and it is mostly yellow. I am giving her antibiotics and she is feeling much better. The problem is we can't get much fluid out of her because it gets too hard to pull the syringe. It is an 18 gauge needle and a 33cc syringe. We usually get one full syringe but when we put it back on and start to draw out again the suction is too strong and we can't continue. I hate to reinsert the needle more than once each time. Are we doing something wrong? I know if I could get more of that fluid out she would feel much better.

Sorry your girl is ailing. :hugs If her belly is hard, you won't be able to draw anything out through a syringe, you will only stress her. Only the soft balloon bellies drain. I had a hen with a hard belly years ago. Nothing seemed to help her medicine wise. Eventually she had difficulty breathing so I had her put down. Unfortunately the outcome for these types of situation is always grim.
I think her belly felt hard because it had so much fluid in it. I don't feel any large hard areas now that it is softer. Since giving antibiotics and drawing some fluid out it is softer and smaller but still too big. She gets more and more active every day. I realize this may be temporary and she may be near her end, but as long as she is improving I will keep caring for her.

Update. Boy could I use some help. Not the chicken but me. My vet actually had a new vet student who is doing farm animals. I took her in and she was able to use a catheter and after antibiotics she looked really good. Couple weeks ago she swelled up again so I had the vet come out so it would be less stressful. This vet misunderstood. Thought I wanted her put down so didn't bring catheter. She went ahead and drained with a needle but didn't get much. Chicken never really got better. Quit eating much and walking slowly. Trouble passing waste. I decided it was time. Took her in. Waited an hour. I unfortunately picked up covid somewhere so could not go in. The vet comes out and says she is glad I wasn't there. Her veins were really bad. Told her I really didn't want to know just asked was she asleep. She said yes they had to gas her and then do a cardiac stick. I am devastated. I'm afraid I made her last moments terrifying and extremely painful. I am having nightmares. I know she isn't in pain now but what an awful way to die. Now I'm left with one hen and will not trust that vet again. 😥😥😥

I'm very sorry for your loss. :hugs
It may not have been as bad as you imagine. If they gave her gas then likely she was unaware of the rest. She's no longer in pain or discomfort, so hopefully you can find peace in that.

Update. Boy could I use some help. Not the chicken but me. My vet actually had a new vet student who is doing farm animals. I took her in and she was able to use a catheter and after antibiotics she looked really good. Couple weeks ago she swelled up again so I had the vet come out so it would be less stressful. This vet misunderstood. Thought I wanted her put down so didn't bring catheter. She went ahead and drained with a needle but didn't get much. Chicken never really got better. Quit eating much and walking slowly. Trouble passing waste. I decided it was time. Took her in. Waited an hour. I unfortunately picked up covid somewhere so could not go in. The vet comes out and says she is glad I wasn't there. Her veins were really bad. Told her I really didn't want to know just asked was she asleep. She said yes they had to gas her and then do a cardiac stick. I am devastated. I'm afraid I made her last moments terrifying and extremely painful. I am having nightmares. I know she isn't in pain now but what an awful way to die. Now I'm left with one hen and will not trust that vet again. 😥😥😥
:hugsI'm so sorry:hugs

I'm sorry that this experience was traumatic for you. Sounds like she was put under with gas before they did any of the other procedures, so likely she was not aware of anything happening.

Focus on your one hen and think about finding a couple of started pullets to keep her company and build your flock.

I do hope you find some peace and are recovering from your illness.

:hugsI'm so sorry:hugs

I'm sorry that this experience was traumatic for you. Sounds like she was put under with gas before they did any of the other procedures, so likely she was not aware of anything happening.

Focus on your one hen and think about finding a couple of started pullets to keep her company and build your flock.

I do hope you find some peace and are recovering from your illness.
Thank you. I hope you all are correct. It is harder being sick. Not thinking clearly. She was such a good chicken. I tried to do the right thing by having a professional help her. I don't think I will be getting more. Looking for a farm sanctuary for last hen but I may just spend lots of time with her and see how she does. Maybe get her a different friend like a kitten or rabbit. I have a huge coop and run. Just not any good chicken vets around here and I'm not a good nurse even though I did drain her a couple times and got more than the vet and chicken was fine the next day. I thought she was too rough. She is a "food animal" vet she told me. She was nice enough but not a companion animal vet. Thanks again. Feeling better.

Back
Top Bottom