6mo. Barred Rock Pullet? Or...

HollyDelightly

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 11, 2013
What do you guys think? No crowing yet, but her/his voice just dropped today and the anticipation is driving me crazy!

Last edited:
From the lighting and background it's hard to tell but I think I see curved tail feathers and pointy wing feathers.
I would think at 6 months it would be obvious though. I don't see any spurs either.

Last edited:
I was told she/he was born around 5/1, so I rounded up a little, but I got him/her about a month ago so I can't know for sure.

I am FAR from an expert- my guess is a Roo. My BR was very round and hen like at 5 months, no curved tail. I was looking for a good pic of her from that age-

Her head is blurry- but you can see her tail feathers ok- I think.

Haha, I'm relieved to see it's an overall consistent response, even if it's the less ideal answer.
hide.gif
And so much for that blue ribbon he brought home from the state fair for good breeding!
tongue.png

The lack of the double barring gene, required for a BR male, makes his over all look dark. Plus, the barring is blotchy. This likely indicates that he is a cross. The tell tale sign is the gold/red/brown leakage in the wing. Unless that is merely a photographic anomaly, those red/brown feather indicated leakage of the gold/red of the other portion of his genetic makeup.

If this bird had a red comb and red wattles at 7 weeks of age? It is indeed a male. Males show that characteristic very early. Pullet don't normally show any comb or wattles development until they are much older, around 14 weeks.

Last edited:
Fred's Hens, those males are beautiful! I'll have to give him another look, but I think the gold/red is just sunshine sneaking in.

Found a photo of him when I got him two months ago-

Compared to the others his age at the fair, the comb and wattles were less red, but I'm still new to this.
hmm.png

Back
Top Bottom