6th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2015 Hatch-A-Long

I had gave up on the marans hatching ... went in there around 3:30 pm today one had hatched 1 pipped 2 still holding out. So so fat 9 live chicks 3 in waiting I sat 12 eggs

Good news for you! It looks like we've had a few marans set this HAL. I'm guessing you have had them before. I had one in the past, can't remember how well she laid..are they good layers?

Oooh, glad I saw this one. I will be doing some for the EHAL. ;)
Oh fun! I love Marans!

I will hopefully be doing the EHAL also.

Likely Cream Legbar and hopefully Heritage Barred Rocks
love.gif

Okay, so reality time. What's the most humane way to cull a chick? My one with the sprayed out legs is not going to make it. Her legs are so tiny compared to all of the others. She isn't even trying to stand anymore.

She doesn't seem to be in any pain so I think she may just be drifting away so the moral question is, should I let her just drift off or should I take more direct measures? And if direct measures are called for, what is the best way to do it?

ugh my stomach's in knots just thinking about this.

Okay, so reality time.  What's the most humane way to cull a chick?  My one with the sprayed out legs is not going to make it.  Her legs are so tiny compared to all of the others.  She isn't even trying to stand anymore. 

She doesn't seem to be in any pain so I think she may just be drifting away so the moral question is, should I let her just drift off or should I take more direct measures?  And if direct measures are called for, what is the best way to do it?

From what I've read very sharp scissors cut the head off... :hugs
Personally if she doesn't seem to be in pain I wouldn't take any action but that's just me best of luck

I agree. As long as the death is peaceful I give them a quiet place to rest. Last one I even warmed a washcloth and covered it with it. Totally a personal choice though if death is inevitable. ((Hugs))

Last 2 pips just hatched; a red orp and the last bantam. I'm 8 for 8 on the bantams set
wee.gif
I'm so stoked because 7 were pullet eggs from my silkie/cochin who had just started laying. She decided yesterday to go full on broody on me (she had been playing at it for the last week) and is now sitting on rocks (yes rocks, I couldn't find my golf balls) I guess if she sticks I'll have to give her some of the eggs I've been saving to set after this hatch.

Anyone have experience hatching orps? Do they hatch slow? The last 3 havn't pipped. I'm going to give the new hatchs time to dry out and then candle but any info would be great.

From what I've read very sharp scissors cut the head off...
hugs.gif

Personally if she doesn't seem to be in pain I wouldn't take any action but that's just me best of luck

I agree. As long as the death is peaceful I give them a quiet place to rest. Last one I even warmed a washcloth and covered it with it. Totally a personal choice though if death is inevitable. ((Hugs))

Thanks for the advice, I am just gonna let her drift off. I've turned off the incubator so I'm gonna put her back in there where it's warm still warm and just let her go. Thanks for the condolences.

Okay, so reality time. What's the most humane way to cull a chick? My one with the sprayed out legs is not going to make it. Her legs are so tiny compared to all of the others. She isn't even trying to stand anymore.

She doesn't seem to be in any pain so I think she may just be drifting away so the moral question is, should I let her just drift off or should I take more direct measures? And if direct measures are called for, what is the best way to do it?

I wrap the chick on a paper towel, put the chick into a ziplock sandwich bag and then put the tip if scissors at the base of the spine close to the skull. I then cut, cover with the paper towel and then close up the zip lock bag.

cutting high up makes it an instant and painless death for the poor thing.

hugs.gif
I am sorry you have to do this!

Last 2 pips just hatched; a red orp and the last bantam. I'm 8 for 8 on the bantams set
wee.gif
I'm so stoked because 7 were pullet eggs from my silkie/cochin who had just started laying. She decided yesterday to go full on broody on me (she had been playing at it for the last week) and is now sitting on rocks (yes rocks, I couldn't find my golf balls) I guess if she sticks I'll have to give her some of the eggs I've been saving to set after this hatch.

Anyone have experience hatching orps? Do they hatch slow? The last 3 havn't pipped. I'm going to give the new hatchs time to dry out and then candle but any info would be great.

Orps are described as being lazy hatchers. I have hatched them before and they will take a lot of time between pip, zip and hatch. Sometimes they will stop in the middle of zipping. It will tax your patience!

Back
Top Bottom