6th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2015 Hatch-A-Long

We have been looking for an excuse to hatch some eggs. I suppose this is a good time to do so, and also a good time to see if our two roosters are doing the rooster thing -
D.gif

Will probably do 8 eggs from our flock, but would not mind having 4 of them coming from someone with Black Copper Marans, so maybe I will look around a bit.

If I do not post my progress and the results, it is because my most favorite wife decided to feed me to the chickens - she thinks we have way too many now (9). However, she is wrong!
pop.gif

We have been looking for an excuse to hatch some eggs. I suppose this is a good time to do so, and also a good time to see if our two roosters are doing the rooster thing -
D.gif

Will probably do 8 eggs from our flock, but would not mind having 4 of them coming from someone with Black Copper Marans, so maybe I will look around a bit.

If I do not post my progress and the results, it is because my most favorite wife decided to feed me to the chickens - she thinks we have way too many now (9). However, she is wrong!
pop.gif

I like the way you think!

Hatching for the new year is very satisfying. We need more layers each year too.

I am excited about this! I have a question-
I have a Buff Orpington Roo but not a BO hen. What would be my best "mix"- I have an EE, and some Red sex links... or should I buy eggs?
Thanks!

I'll be able to help a couple people with Silkie eggs. Providing they are still laying. I'll be out of town till Dec 5th but I will be able to get eggs in the mail on Monday the 8th. I'll post what I have available on saturday for those looking to finish filling your bators. Price for 6 eggs with shipping will be $25.00

We have one more mature hen (Little Mama) and another "spare" rooster (Little Mister). :)

MrsB
big_smile.png
hope you get all of the eggs you want from your pairing and that they end up all being pullets!!

Hatching for the new year is very satisfying. We need more layers each year too.

I am so finding that out the hard way right now. Early hatch = fall and winter eggs. June and later girls haven't produced anything yet. Yesterday we got 2 eggs from more than a dozen layers
he.gif
Hoping any girls from the NYD hatch will be laying by late spring early summer
big_smile.png

I am excited about this! I have a question-
I have a Buff Orpington Roo but not a BO hen. What would be my best "mix"- I have an EE, and some Red sex links... or should I buy eggs?
Thanks!
It depends on what color eggs you want!

I would put the rooster over both of them and see what you get.

So, how does this work? Do I need to borrow a rooster now, or on the 11th?
The Rooster has to woo the hens. It takes a week or so. The eggs will be fertile after the second of third egg laid after he starts mating them.

Yes, start now and collect eggs starting five days before the set date.

Or you can buy hatching eggs from someone and set them on Dec. 11.

Are you joining?

woohoo. I have been hatching fluffy butts, but I am excited to join in on the fun. I will be setting Naked Neck Easter Eggers and Ameraucanas. I wish my geese and ducks were laying but I have the last of my duck eggs in the incubator now. I cannot wait to see all the results. :)

Back
Top Bottom