7-10 Week Old Chickens Sneezing, Making Clicking Noises

JimmyKr

Hatching
7 Years
Feb 22, 2012
1) One Ameraucana, 7-8 weeks old, normal weight
One White Plymouth Rock, 7-8 weeks old, normal weight
One Barred Rock, 9-10 weeks old, normal weight

2) We had a hen turn out to be a rooster and had to return it, so our Barred Rock was alone for a day. We went and got the Ameraucana & White Plymouth Rock, and put them in their little box together. They were all acting normal. Maybe a day after we heard one of the new ones sneeze, but thought nothing of it. A few days later (yesterday), and now they are all sneezing (not very often or intensely; no visible liquid, face looks fine, etc.), and also making these clicking noises with their beaks.
The clicking sound is comparable to when they groom themselves/bite their feathers, but I think it is their phlegm, from researching a little online. When they make the clicking noise they open/close their mouths at a good rate (not like they are struggling to slowly breath, they probably open their mouths 4-8 times in the course of a couple seconds).

3) Symptoms have been showing a few days for the one hen sneezing, one day for the whole flock clicking/sneezing

4) The other birds are exhibiting the same symptoms.

5) No signs of other trauma.

6) Nothing – we bought the 2 new hens from a local farm from a flock of maybe 100-150 of similar age, and one of them was probably carrying whatever it was.

7) They haven't shown any signs of eating or drinking less since this has happened. Their symptoms seem very minor at this point but I want to catch it early on.

8) Poop looks normal.

9) No treatment so far.

10 ) Hoping to treat without a visit to the vet.

11) N/A

12) All 3 are in a washing machine cardboard box with pine shavings & paper underneath.

Possible diagnosis? Treatments? Let me hear anything.

http://www.amerpoultryassn.com/respiratory_disease.htm
Here is a link to some respiratory diseases.

They are so young...if they were my flock I would consider an antibiotic from the feed store or something to see if they got better. Some just cull sick birds. I am sorry you are having to go through this, and sorry for your little sick chickies.

The nice thing about the link that I gave you is the incubation periods listed.

The other thing to consider is that it could be an environmental cause- anything dusty or hard on the lungs out there where they are?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply! We bought some antibiotics, as well as immune system enhancing supplements if they start showing more signs. All of that is on hold for now though, because we think this sneezing/clicking may be the result of their new wood shavings. Their old shavings were dust-free, and these news ones are not. For now we're hoping it's just the dust :) I'll definitely keep this thread updated if anything happens.

Thanks for the reply! We bought some antibiotics, as well as immune system enhancing supplements if they start showing more signs. All of that is on hold for now though, because we think this sneezing/clicking may be the result of their new wood shavings. Their old shavings were dust-free, and these news ones are not. For now we're hoping it's just the dust :) I'll definitely keep this thread updated if anything happens.

It does sound like it could be environmental. I hope that is what it is!!!!

Back
Top Bottom