7/12 early deaths... Did I do something wrong?

MisfitMarie

Songster
5 Years
Oct 20, 2014
Portland, OR
I had an order of shipped eggs: 12 Crested Cream Legbar. I know shipped eggs are a gamble, I'm okay with that. I still wanted to try. 2 of them never developed/appear infertile. 3/12 of them are thriving at 11 days old. 7/12 appear to be early deaths.

Here are pictures of two of them, but all seven look the same to some extent:

Compared to an egg that is only a few days behind:

Now... These 12 Legbar eggs were put into an incubator with roughly 20 other eggs. All but one of the 20 are currently developing. I am wondering what I could have done differently with these Legbar eggs to cause all of these early deaths? I tried not to handle them too much. Humidity and temperature has actually been pretty steady in my incubator: Janoel48 with fan, 99.5 degrees, humidity at 40%. I have an extra temp/humidity monitor in there as well.

I suppose I am just shocked at the amount of early deaths. Is this normal? Or, maybe just normal for shipped eggs? It was a little alarming to me... and I am just trying to figure out what I did wrong. They were clearly developing before quitting on me (aside from the two that didn't ever seem to start). Is 7/12 early deaths abnormally high? What would your guess be as far as troubleshooting? Has this happened to you before?

Thanks for any advice!

I am by far an expert on hatching, but it sounds like something could have been wrong with the Legbar eggs, since 19/20 of your other ones seem to be developing normally. I wouldn't think you've done anything wrong since those 19 are ok. If it was an incubator issue, then you would probably have more early deaths. How about the air cells on the Legbar eggs? Were they dislodged? Did the eggs appear to be dirty? There could be a number of things, but I'm willing to bet the Legbar eggs were just "off" somehow and not your fault.

I am by far an expert on hatching, but it sounds like something could have been wrong with the Legbar eggs, since 19/20 of your other ones seem to be developing normally. I wouldn't think you've done anything wrong since those 19 are ok. If it was an incubator issue, then you would probably have more early deaths. How about the air cells on the Legbar eggs? Were they dislodged? Did the eggs appear to be dirty? There could be a number of things, but I'm willing to bet the Legbar eggs were just "off" somehow and not your fault.
Thanks! Now that I think about it, there were quite a few detached air cells. I was able to better stabilize most of them by letting them sit for a few days in the incubator without turning. But there were a few that did look rather scrambled at first. The eggs were certainly clean, very pretty. I do, however, remember a couple of the eggs being extremely porous (and odd, bumpy texture). Could this mean that bacteria possibly got in? I try to wash my hands every time I move eggs or candle, but I'm wondering if I let something get to them.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the remaining three... They appear to be going strong. If I can get 2/3 to hatch, I'll be happy with that. I don't want a lonely chick, though.

Last edited:
X2 with StephensonC if your other eggs are fine you must have the optimum incubation conditions for them to be developing. There are so many factors that all need to come together at the correct time for them to develop. Parent bird health and age,egg shell quality, porous or very hard. Shipped eggs are a risk too due to the rigours of the mail system.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your eggs :fl

I'll add my vote to the other's comments - think its most likely there was a problem with the eggs before you even received them Misfitmarie.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the remaining ones.

I'm going to agree with everyone else here that something was wrong with the eggs. Unfortunately this is happening a lot with cream legbars recently, and I think the breed is becoming inbred because people aren't taking care to keep the genetics as clean as possible. Just the nature of the breed, recently imported and all coming from one original place that was the only place to get them, lends to the possibility of inbreeding if breeders don't take care. That's what happened to the Isbars.

I am certainly leaning that way, StephensonC. My other eggs are doing great! It must have been something with the eggs... either way, it's a learning experience. And I sure hope I get a couple to hatch anyway!

X2 with StephensonC if your other eggs are fine you must have the optimum incubation conditions for them to be developing. There are so many factors that all need to come together at the correct time for them to develop. Parent bird health and age,egg shell quality, porous or very hard. Shipped eggs are a risk too due to the rigours of the mail system.

Wishing you the very best of luck with your eggs
fl.gif
Thanks! It has helped to keep things in perspective. It was, for sure, a real bummer... but you're right: there are SO many things that can happen, so many factors that are completely out of my control. All you can do is your best and hope that it hatches little fuzz-butts!

I'll add my vote to the other's comments - think its most likely there was a problem with the eggs before you even received them Misfitmarie.

I'll keep my fingers crossed for the remaining ones.
Thanks, dorper! I'm keeping my fingers AND TOES crossed for these eggs!

I'm going to agree with everyone else here that something was wrong with the eggs. Unfortunately this is happening a lot with cream legbars recently, and I think the breed is becoming inbred because people aren't taking care to keep the genetics as clean as possible. Just the nature of the breed, recently imported and all coming from one original place that was the only place to get them, lends to the possibility of inbreeding if breeders don't take care. That's what happened to the Isbars.

WOW! REALLY interesting point about the inbreeding. It would make sense. I don't know very much about chicken genetics and such, but I could imagine that would cause problems. I'm just a sucker for pretty chickens that lay pretty eggs, and I really like the Cream Legbars. Very good points, I'm going to have to do a little research on chicken genetics now.

Back
Top Bottom