7 (6?) Boys, Re-Banded and Photographed

3KillerBs

Addict
14 Years
Jul 10, 2009
North Carolina Sandhills
My Coop
My Coop
I had meant to also weigh them, but discovered that the bucket I had was too small and that DH had used the 5-gallon bucket for something else. They are all 10-weeks old and from Ideal Welp (oops, the spring batch was from Ideal).

Out of 25 ordered and 26 received it seems that all 5 straight-run Blue Australorps and the extra bird are male and possibly one of the brown egg assortment was an oops male.

First, Green. He has white feet, visible hackles and saddles, and a dark pattern across his back.
1201210724.jpg
1201210724a.jpg
1201210724b.jpg
1201210725.jpg

Next, Red. Who *may* be splash. White feet, visible hackles and saddles, and a medium overall color. It's hard to see the dark feathers here and there even with his wing spread so I'm not sure about the splash thing.
1201210730.jpg
1201210730a.jpg
1201210731.jpg
1201210731a.jpg

Next, Blue -- aka "Stripes". His breed ID is still uncertain. What's Blue Cuckoo with a single comb and white feet -- Blue Cuckoo Marans? To confuse everyone -- undoubtedly including the sexers at Welp -- he did not have a white spot on his head as a hatchling so the stripes were a complete surprise. His saddles are starting to come in but not as much as some of the others. He's going to be absolutely gorgeous, but bites when handled. At this stage I don't know if that's fear or aggression.
1201210734.jpg
1201210735.jpg
1201210735_HDR.jpg

Next, Black. He's got white feet, a dark wash over his back, visible saddles, and a paler comb than the other boys. (The yellowish color on one foot is because he escaped and ran through the biggest, stinkiest, fresh cecal poop he could find to step in while we were catching him).
1201210741.jpg
1201210741a.jpg
1201210741b.jpg
1201210741c.jpg

Next, Pink, who *may* also be splash. Or lavender? He only has one dark feather and a pale color. White feet and no hackles or saddles visible yet.
1201210745.jpg
1201210745a.jpg
1201210745b.jpg

1201210745c.jpg

Next, Yellow. White feet, visible hackles and saddles. Seemed possibly smaller in my hand, but I couldn't get weights. Hackles and saddles visible. He's got a spotty, dark wash over his back.
1201210748.jpg
1201210748a.jpg
1201210748b.jpg
1201210748c.jpg

And finally, Purple. I'm not actually sure this is a male at this point. He/she is definitely smaller than the others and no hackles or saddles visible. I banded him/her at 3 weeks as a suspected male because of the size of the comb (photo here), but with all the others showing male saddles -- even if I had to ruffle up the area and look for them underneath -- I am not sure anymore. He/she has a dark head and yellow feet -- Blue Rock, Blue Plymouth Tint, or Blue Jersey Giant?
1201210751.jpg
1201210751a.jpg
1201210752.jpg
1201210752a.jpg

Last edited:
I had meant to also weigh them, but discovered that the bucket I had was too small and that DH had used the 5-gallon bucket for something else. They are all 10-weeks old and from Ideal.

Out of 25 ordered and 26 received it seems that all 5 straight-run Blue Australorps and the extra bird are male and possibly one of the brown egg assortment was an oops male.

First, Green. He has white feet, visible hackles and saddles, and a dark pattern across his back.
View attachment 2915129View attachment 2915130View attachment 2915131View attachment 2915132

Next, Red. Who *may* be splash. White feet, visible hackles and saddles, and a medium overall color. It's hard to see the dark feathers here and there even with his wing spread so I'm not sure about the splash thing.
View attachment 2915133View attachment 2915134View attachment 2915135View attachment 2915137

Next, Blue -- aka "Stripes". His breed ID is still uncertain. What's Blue Cuckoo with a single comb and white feet -- Blue Cuckoo Marans? To confuse everyone -- undoubtedly including the sexers at Welp -- he did not have a white spot on his head as a hatchling so the stripes were a complete surprise. His saddles are starting to come in but not as much as some of the others. He's going to be absolutely gorgeous, but bites when handled. At this stage I don't know if that's fear or aggression.
View attachment 2915138View attachment 2915139View attachment 2915140

Next, Black. He's got white feet, a dark wash over his back, visible saddles, and a paler comb than the other boys. (The yellowish color on one foot is because he escaped and ran through the biggest, stinkiest, fresh cecal poop he could find to step in while we were catching him).
View attachment 2915141View attachment 2915142View attachment 2915143View attachment 2915144

Next, Pink, who *may* also be splash. Or lavender? He only has one dark feather and a pale color. White feet and no hackles or saddles visible yet.
View attachment 2915145View attachment 2915146View attachment 2915147
View attachment 2915148

Next, Yellow. White feet, visible hackles and saddles. Seemed possibly smaller in my hand, but I couldn't get weights. Hackles and saddles visible. He's got a spotty, dark wash over his back.
View attachment 2915149View attachment 2915150View attachment 2915151View attachment 2915152

And finally, Purple. I'm not actually sure this is a male at this point. He/she is definitely smaller than the others and no hackles or saddles visible. I banded him/her at 3 weeks as a suspected male because of the size of the comb (photo here), but with all the others showing male saddles -- even if I had to ruffle up the area and look for them underneath -- I am not sure anymore. He/she has a dark head and yellow feet -- Blue Rock, Blue Plymouth Tint, or Blue Jersey Giant?
View attachment 2915154View attachment 2915155View attachment 2915156View attachment 2915157
I would say all boys except possibly the last one

@Overo Mare
I would say for sure that the 1st is a male, but I’m not too sure about the others

I'm sure of all of them except the last. I didn't get photos of the saddles coming in under the other feathers, but only pink and purple lacked them and pink has quite a comb compared to the definite females in the batch.

All boys except the last. All blue in color. I would say they are blue Marans, the one is a blue CM, and the last is a Sapphire Gem.

They *should* be Blue Australorps because that's what I ordered -- other than the stripey one and that last one with the yellow feet.

Welp doesn't carry Sapphire Gem. Blue Rock, Blue Plymouth Tint, and Blue Jersey Giant are their yellow-skinned, single-combed blue breeds. :) (I mistyped and said Ideal in the first post -- my spring order was from Ideal).

They *should* be Blue Australorps because that's what I ordered -- other than the stripey one and that last one with the yellow feet.

Welp doesn't carry Sapphire Gem. Blue Rock, Blue Plymouth Tint, and Blue Jersey Giant are their yellow-skinned, single-combed blue breeds. :) (I mistyped and said Ideal in the first post -- my spring order was from Ideal).
That's totally what I meant lol. I was here before coffee. 🤦‍♀️

Definitely a Production Blue then I believe. So Blue Rock.

Definitely a Production Blue then I believe. So Blue Rock.

There's no red leakage as shown on the illustration of Welp's Production Blue.

The early comb development for a girl would certainly seem to hint at a production-oriented, early-maturing breed like that. As with the RIR, knowing the breed should make her easier to sell in my next round of flock reductions.

With my boys sorted out now I have to individually ID the girls and get them sorted.

I have got to figure out a better system for keeping track of them -- especially once I start hatching.

There's no red leakage as shown on the illustration of Welp's Production Blue.

The early comb development for a girl would certainly seem to hint at a production-oriented, early-maturing breed like that. As with the RIR, knowing the breed should make her easier to sell in my next round of flock reductions.

With my boys sorted out now I have to individually ID the girls and get them sorted.

I have got to figure out a better system for keeping track of them -- especially once I start hatching.
Could also be a JG, but really it's a tough call until they're bigger. They will be larger than a Production Blue. They usually have a willowy cast to their shanks too. Are her legs greenish at all?

Back
Top Bottom