7/8 Emerald Spaulding pics.

Yeah what do you do about that? Is it best to raise them from chicks so they are more used to you or will they eventually get used to you and not be so flighty near you?

Very nice looking birds! I was just at a farm last weekend that had Pure-bred Java's.... They were stunning.. He too said they were flighty as can be, look at them wrong and they are freaking out.

I hatched 3 100% java this year. 2 were totally totally nuts, freak at anything, but one is SUPER friendly. I think it makes a huge difference if you handle them a lot in the first 3 days -1 week. I think I have posted this pic before. She just closes her eyes if you start talking to her.

my high % spauldings will all but eat out of your hand, all 3/4-7/8
But my javas and imperators, especially the imperators will kill themselves trying to get away from you if you arent careful, and had all of them sine 1-3 months old...Just the nature of those birds, not much you can do about it

All my greens are like that too.. Im the only one that can feed them.. and i have to be alone. yesterday my grandfather was standing at the gate and they just went crazy... I do have 3 greens and 1 java male that are very calm... you can get about 3 feet from them. not flighty at all, but my breeder greens are all phyco... There trains are comming out and they look just beautiful!

Omigoodness, they are absolutely magnificent. I agree with the poster that said you need to raise them from hatchlings. My two peahens are totally bonded to me and to all humans. I carried them around with me when they were teeny tiny (until they started pooping on me regularly--ugh!). I kept them in a brooder in my dining room. I carried them out to my garden every afternoon and let them hang out there in the sunshine and then would carry them back inside. Finally last winter, I made a room for them, put in heat lamps, and some tree branches and they lived in their during the frigid winter. Come spring, I finally allowed them outside to free range (they were about 6 months old last March). They always came back to their room at night to be closed up and safe. Only about a month ago, when they turned 1 year old, did they refuse to go back into their room and would fly up into a tree branch to sleep and be safe at night. Interesting to watch their development.

I love these girls and wonder if I should get them a male next year. They're best buddies.

39952_dsc02197_1.jpg

Wild Thing

He's dog tame but he does love to roam. The neighbors do not appreciate him so at the moment he is penned.

Back
Top Bottom