7/8 Emerald Spaulding pics.

Quote:
Oh I worry, even though they always came back home every evening, even if I did not see them at all during that day. Can't imagine with birds disappearing for several days at a time!

From your pictures, your aviary sure comes as close to natural as possible...

You can try making free range Javas possible by letting the India peahens raise them, because they stick to their mommies like glue for the first year, so the India mom will basically teach them the routine and they will also be very familiar with where home is, so even if some end up to be "wanderers" they should come back home.

p.s. all my free range were started as chicks or youngsters less than year old. Don't want to imply that adults, especially birds bought from someone else are easily turned loose.

I think it helps a lot if the greens and high % are not fearful of people before they are let loose.

Last edited:
Thanks, I really wanted a natural pen for the birds. I am working on making it look really tropical but a lot of the plants will need to grow some more for the pen to look really tropical.

That is a good idea about having a India Blue peahen raise a young green. Yeah I wouldn't turn loose an adult that didn't grow up here, way too risky. One person said their adult java male got loose one day and they were afraid they would never see it again but the next day it was in the pen waiting to be fed.

I wonder if there is one of the three subspecies is less likely to wander as far as the others like if the Indo-chinese is better than Javas for not going as far or something...

Back
Top Bottom