7 Biddies' Street

Oh, I've got one like your motor-mouth. The bossiest meanie-poo-poo head in my flock is a SLW named Spot who has a history of prolapse. I thought she was going to kill my 6 week old chicks. She had three cornered at once and was going at the viciously. She's a gorgeous thing, and one of hubby's favorites, but I have two Australorps with bald necks because they for some darned reason think they need to roost next to her. When I caught her the other day, one of the picked-on Australorps (named Friendly because she is a doll) came racing over and pecked ole Spot real good while she was in my arms!

I hope so too, since I believed they had all been (accurately) sexed and were females when I got them. (Let's see, 2 of those and 2 of those, and OH! Gotta have a few of those!) I've never had a desire for roosters, ever since I found out they don't lay eggs. :D

In the meantime, I discovered that getting 8 chicks with 4 adults already, was overkill. I thought I'd get the extra just in case a few didn't make it. But, they're all very healthy and thriving! So, now I have an even dozen chickens. God help me when the babies start to lay ... I live alone and don't eat eggs every day. Plus, as I get older, I find it harder to move them to larger quarters as they outgrow the smaller ones. I've got to limit myself to no more than 4 babies at a time, in the future. But, I think if I get them every other year, rather than every third, it'll work out well.

Back
Top Bottom