7 chickens and 2 ducks killed by hawks!

Chicken fan13

In the Brooder
Feb 26, 2016
I have lost a lot of pullets and today a hawk swooped down and killed my hen and we scared it away.It wont leave them alone what do i do?

Is the hawk responsible for all your losses or just today?
Not sure if your set up but here are some options:

Don't let chickens free range and also cover your run.
Trap predators. Look up the SSS method for dealing with predators.
I usually just scare off avian predators with well placed shot gun blasts. I don't shoot them - just urge them to get their chicken dinners elsewhere. If it's more than just the hawk doing the damage, step up predator proofing efforts by reinforcing coop and run.
Hope you come up with something. Predators, while just trying to make a living, are maddening! :rant

Outside of breaking the law, placing a net over your run will deter hawks.

I assume you built a secure run when you first started losing birds, right????

The problem with shooting them (apart from it being illegal) is that there will always be another one. We lost a bird to a goshawk while free ranging in our back yard. A month later a large hawk was sitting on our pool fence eyeing them off. You shoot one another's always going to be out there ready to take its place. You can't just wipe out the bird of prey population to protect your chickens, it's far more sensible to make your run predator proof and let the birds of prey go elsewhere for their meals.

For birds of prey we just ran an inexpensive plastic wire over the top of their run and no longer free range them unsupervised. If it wasn't a bird took your others you need to lock them up somewhere safe while you build a suitable home for them.

Agree that they need to be locked up if they're being killed or taken by predators, regardless of the predator. For ground predators, either a secure, covered run or electric poultry netting. For aerial predators, again - a run covered with welded wire, or inexpensive netting. Often, if you can keep your birds securely confined for a couple of weeks, the predator will move on.

The problem with shooting them (apart from it being illegal) is that there will always be another one. We lost a bird to a goshawk while free ranging in our back yard. A month later a large hawk was sitting on our pool fence eyeing them off. You shoot one another's always going to be out there ready to take its place. You can't just wipe out the bird of prey population to protect your chickens, it's far more sensible to make your run predator proof and let the birds of prey go elsewhere for their meals.

For birds of prey we just ran an inexpensive plastic wire over the top of their run and no longer free range them unsupervised. If it wasn't a bird took your others you need to lock them up somewhere safe while you build a suitable home for them.
Pump shotgun, Boom, Boom , Boom.. 3rd time is a charm.

My chicken operation started as something to do, I estimate I have around 300 now, bout to sell a bunch. Covering the run and all sounds good, but I would have to cover about a half acre and that is not feasible. I live in the country and have plenty of cover for my birds, but hawks are usually pretty easy to manage. They will leave, trust me on that, another might come back but a mature Red Tail can wipe you out of a dozen pullets in a couple days. Coyotes are my main concern, they will grab a hen and be gone, I also have a remedy for them....little bit more range than a shotgun. I have show cows and we are getting into calving season, no love lost for coyotes. I have tried a covered run once, didn't work out to well with 50 mph coastal winds, it ended up in my backyard. Chickens are pretty smart, if there is a hawk around they will be in their house-under a trailer, or in the barn. I like watching hawks and seeing them in the wild, just not around my chickens. Had 1 swoop down Wednesday afternoon, didn't get anything but it will be back I am certain.

Back
Top Bottom