7 day old duckling no feathers on its back

May 4, 2021
Hi there. We hatched 7 ducklings 7 days ago. However when one hatched it was covered in messy goo, I think the other ducklings tried to clean it. But now it has a bald back. 7 days and still the same. She is the smallest of our ducklings.

Is there something wrong with her? Or anything I can do.

20210519_103602.jpg

I am no expert on this kind of issue and maybe other more knowledgeable members will chime in.

As long as she or he is eating and drinking regularly and staying warm enough and the others don't start pecking at it, it should be fine until more fuzz starts to grow back or gets it's feathers.

Best of luck and please keep us posted. :)

Last edited:
We had a little runt in our group of baby duckling and they do grow surprising fast. :) Make sure they all are receiving enough niacin in their daily diet to keep from any possible leg issues.

I am no expert on this kind of issue and maybe other more knowledgeable members will chime in.

As long as she or he is eating and drinking regularly and staying warm enough and the other don't start pecking at it, it should be fine until more fuzz starts to grow back or gets it's feathers.

Best of luck and please keep us posted. :)
She eats drinks poops the same as the rest. She is warm and active. Other ducklings aren't pecking at it either. I just thought after a week she would start to be a bit more fuzzy. She is growing too

Feathers and fluff take awhile to grow back… I have one little chick atm who was attacked by a dog (well it was a 6 month old puppy) about a month or so ago and still the fluff on the back havent completely grown back we have little spikes ready and waiting but no fluff as yet… it takes time… if your worried about the skin drying out try dabbing some baby oil on the patch….

Back
Top Bottom