1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

7 eggs 6 Chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by abauer18, Nov 8, 2015.

1. abauer18

abauer18 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2015
    I got 6 eggs yesterday and 7 today. So in between yesterday and today one of my girls laid twice. Is this even possible?

2. sbhkma

sbhkma Chillin' With My Peeps

Not common, but possible yes. I had a hen once that would lay twice in a day about every other month.

3. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio

Yep it's possible, my Rhode Island Red did this for few days when she first started laying.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  4. abauer18

abauer18 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 2, 2015
    My Rhode Island Reds I've been laying for about two months now. This was the first time it happened and I didn't think it was possible but I guess it is LOL.

5. Spartan22

Spartan22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    North Canton, Ohio
    Her body will regulate it soon enough, I was having big eggs double yolkers from couple of my other young layers. I guess that's almost equivalent to 2 eggs a day[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    A hen’s internal egg making factory is rather complicated with lots of parts. Occasionally there can be a glitch. If it is a regular occurrence then there may be a problem, but if it is pretty rare, no big deal.

If a hen releases two yolks instead of one, you might get a double yolked egg if they are released at the same time. If they are spaced out a bit, you will probably get two eggs in the same day. Often, not always but often, they skip laying an egg the following day. This is more common in pullets just starting to lay but occasionally an older established hen can have a hick-up.

Often, not always, either both or especially the second egg can be weird. If two eggs are in the shell gland at the same time getting the shell material laid on, you might get some strange markings on the eggs. The hen’s body normally makes a limited amount of material that goes into the eggs each day. You might see a difference in size, but generally not that often. The stuff you normally see is a shell-less or thin shelled second egg or the color is a lot lighter if she normally lays a brown or green egg. She just doesn’t have enough shell material or pigment for the second egg. But sometimes the second egg is perfect.

So what you have seen is perfectly possible but hopefully fairly rare.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by