7 month old Columbian Wyandotte-rooster or hen?

Thank you!
My husband is thrilled! He has been wanting a rooster but I’ve been leery because we have 3 young kids. Our friends have an aggressive rooster that goes after all the kids and I don’t want that.
LOL Men like the Roosters, but I do too:)
You will need to watch him around the kids.
A cockerel in the mix with pullets only can be tricky.
Walk through him when you are doing chores, don't walk around him. Be consistent with your actions. Chasing/handling pullets can sometimes get them worked up so you need to be aware of what you are doing.
If you hand feed him, then I would stop that at this time - a personal preference of mine. Once they mature, then you can hand feed if you wish. Sometimes they can be aggressive over food or expect food every time you come near.

There are more experienced people here on BYC that have had many roosters/cockerels than I will ever have. Seek them out and read what they have to say. I'm not a fan of kicking, hitting at or even chasing cockerels around - it's not productive and only instills fear and creates anxiety for the bird and the keeper.
Each bird is going to have his or her own personality.
You really won't know how he's going to turn out until he gets more age on him.

LOL Men like the Roosters, but I do too:)
You will need to watch him around the kids.
A cockerel in the mix with pullets only can be tricky.
Walk through him when you are doing chores, don't walk around him. Be consistent with your actions. Chasing/handling pullets can sometimes get them worked up so you need to be aware of what you are doing.
If you hand feed him, then I would stop that at this time - a personal preference of mine. Once they mature, then you can hand feed if you wish. Sometimes they can be aggressive over food or expect food every time you come near.

There are more experienced people here on BYC that have had many roosters/cockerels than I will ever have. Seek them out and read what they have to say. I'm not a fan of kicking, hitting at or even chasing cockerels around - it's not productive and only instills fear and creates anxiety for the bird and the keeper.
Each bird is going to have his or her own personality.
You really won't know how he's going to turn out until he gets more age on him.

Thank you for all of this information!
So far, he actually seems pretty timid. Aside from trying to mount the other two, he is pretty low-key so far. Like I said earlier, we just moved him and the other 2 that we got this spring into the large chicken coop yesterday. Him and the other CW have been steering clear of the older hens (2 & 3 years old). The barred rock stands up for herself though.
We’ll see if he starts becoming more assertive as he ages.

So far, he actually seems pretty timid. Aside from trying to mount the other two, he is pretty low-key so far. Like I said earlier, we just moved him and the other 2 that we got this spring into the large chicken coop yesterday. Him and the other CW have been steering clear of the older hens (2 & 3 years old). The barred rock stands up for herself though.
Make him stay timid too, letting him warm up to you is just asking for trouble.

If you have older hens with him and the pullets, he will do much better, imho. The older gals will usually keep him in line longer than if he were with just pullets his age. Could be another reason he is not crowing a lot right now too.

If you have older hens with him and the pullets, he will do much better, imho. The older gals will usually keep him in line longer than if he were with just pullets his age. Could be another reason he is not crowing a lot right now too.

Our 1 1/2 year old black australorp has been the only one of the older hens to peck at the newbies. Nothing bad, just pecks here and there. He seems terrified of her! He hides behind the pullets when she comes near. Hopefully she’ll help keep him tame.

Our 1 1/2 year old black australorp has been the only one of the older hens to peck at the newbies. Nothing bad, just pecks here and there. He seems terrified of her! He hides behind the pullets when she comes near. Hopefully she’ll help keep him tame.
LOL
Once the pullets come into lay they will find their way into the pecking order and things will settle down with them.
Yes, he will be terrified of the older hens for a while, but as he matures, he will come into his own. He will eventually dominate and rule the girls, but it takes time.

Back
Top Bottom