7 month old rooster lethargic and pale

cfremder

Songster
11 Years
Sep 10, 2012
My 7 month old rooster was slow to leave the coop this morning. Outside now, but staying by himself. Very lethargic. Usually he is very busy with the other 15 hens. Very concerned.

Bring him inside in a basket or crate. Get him to drink some water (add electrolytes if possible) and hold a cup up to his beak. Make a slurry of chicken feed and a large amount of water. Add some raw or chopped egg. After getting him to drink, feel his crop to check if it is empty, full, hard, or soft, or puffy. Look him over for mites and lice. Check his vent area. Listen to his breathing. Check his droppings. How hot is it where you live? Have you had any respiratory or cocci going around in the flock before?

It is still cool here. In the low 50's. After doing more research, I think it might be cocci. Ordered Corid. Should come on Saturday. Will start to treat the entire flock.

It is still cool here. In the low 50's. After doing more research, I think it might be cocci. Ordered Corid. Should come on Saturday. Will start to treat the entire flock.
Corid dosage is 1 1/2 tsp of the powder, or 2 tsp of the liquid Corid per gallon of water for 5-7 days in the water. A small amount of plain yogurt for probiotics is good for them before during, and after treatment. Will he drink anything or take watery food? Coccidiosis is more common in younger birds, but can still occur in birds who are having immunity problems.

Back
Top Bottom