7 month old Silkie 'hen' started crowing? with pics

I have a 6month old silkie Roo. He has been amazing so far. He takes very good care of his little flock, 1 white silkie pullet, 1 gray silkie pullet and a dark Brahma bantam pullet all 6 months old. He crows but its so soft we don't even hear it if we are inside and he usually only does it in the late morning. The four of them hang out together sort of seperate from my laying hens though they all roost in the same coop at night. He's tried to assert himself with my laying hens and the 6-7month old pullets and hasn't' had any luck.
smile.png

Well at least I'll know what to look for next time! WHen I think about it, I realise he probably has been practice crowing, I'd just mistaken it for squawking. He's such a chicken, he behaves like the big girls are all out to get him (not that they are, they hardly deign to notice him!), and hides under the water container, squawking occasionally until I let them out in the morning.

So before the crowing incident, I'd been planning to get 'just one more' Silkie hen to keep this one company, as all the other girls are much bigger (RIR, Wyandottes, BR etc.) But does that mean the he's give the Silkie hen a hard time because she would be the only one of an approachable size? Would I be better off not getting another one, or do you think she'll be ok? (This is all assuming he will get more macho and bigger than he currently is, which is about the size of a rockmelon (cantaloupe in the US?) Even the 10 week old Wyandottes are about to ourgrow him!)

Ksane, that's shocking! 15 out of 16!!! Can you ask for an exchange or any sort of recompense?

Last edited:
Can anyone help me with my baby? I keep hearing female, but it started to try and crow this morning too.

Back
Top Bottom