7 Months Old, no eggs, & my 1 layer quit

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by MamaTaney, Nov 5, 2008.

1. MamaTaney

MamaTaney Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2008
    Salem, VA
    Ok, sorry for the double question here, but I have three 7 month old biddies who haven't decided to start laying yet. Two are Partridge Cochins, one is a Dark Brahma. Is this normal??
    Also, my one layer, a Buff Orpington of the same age hasn't laid in almost a week where she was laying almost one egg a day regularly.
    There was an attack by a racoon or possum last Monday, but all have healed (minor wounds) and our Buff Orpington even laid that day and two days afterwards. Could her quitting be part of a post-attack trauma? She suffered a slight cut on her back during the attack.
    We moved their tractor to a different area where they'll get some more sunlight and are keeping our fingers crossed that this might help. Any other ideas?

2. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    Are you supplimenting them with any extra daylight ?
    I have a 40 watt bulb on a timer that gives them 1 hour xtra light at night and comes on 2 hours before daylight in the morning.

I will tell you my 4 RIR didn't start laying for about 6 1/2 months and not continually until about 8 months.

My 7 banties didn't start laying until almost 9 months and they are not all laying yet. I get about 5 bantie eggs a day.

I thought mine would never start laying in fact i thought about giving my banties to a friend because I thought they would never lay.

I am fairly new at this just started out with all these girls in March as day olds. I am really enjoying them and it is so fun to go out there and collect eggs !!![​IMG]

I would give them a little more time and maybe some longer daylight.

3. timbofarms

timbofarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Humboldt/West TN
    The hens are on strike.
    """NO WAY WE WONT LAY!!NO WAY WE WONT LAY!!NO WAY WE WONT LAY!!"""
    [​IMG]

4. Sugar Sand Farm

Sugar Sand Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2007
    North Florida
    I have two 7 month old cochin hens and they are not laying either. My orpingtons the same age are. I heard that cochins are slow maturers and don't lay very well. At least they don't lay regularly. Chickens have a mind of their own. We changed the nest boxes and they stopped laying. I am sure something like an attack would surely stop them from laying.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by