7 Months Old, no eggs, & my 1 layer quit

MamaTaney

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 5, 2008
Salem, VA
Ok, sorry for the double question here, but I have three 7 month old biddies who haven't decided to start laying yet. Two are Partridge Cochins, one is a Dark Brahma. Is this normal??
Also, my one layer, a Buff Orpington of the same age hasn't laid in almost a week where she was laying almost one egg a day regularly.
There was an attack by a racoon or possum last Monday, but all have healed (minor wounds) and our Buff Orpington even laid that day and two days afterwards. Could her quitting be part of a post-attack trauma? She suffered a slight cut on her back during the attack.
We moved their tractor to a different area where they'll get some more sunlight and are keeping our fingers crossed that this might help. Any other ideas?

Are you supplimenting them with any extra daylight ?
I have a 40 watt bulb on a timer that gives them 1 hour xtra light at night and comes on 2 hours before daylight in the morning.

I will tell you my 4 RIR didn't start laying for about 6 1/2 months and not continually until about 8 months.

My 7 banties didn't start laying until almost 9 months and they are not all laying yet. I get about 5 bantie eggs a day.

I thought mine would never start laying in fact i thought about giving my banties to a friend because I thought they would never lay.

I am fairly new at this just started out with all these girls in March as day olds. I am really enjoying them and it is so fun to go out there and collect eggs !!!
wink.png

I would give them a little more time and maybe some longer daylight.

I have two 7 month old cochin hens and they are not laying either. My orpingtons the same age are. I heard that cochins are slow maturers and don't lay very well. At least they don't lay regularly. Chickens have a mind of their own. We changed the nest boxes and they stopped laying. I am sure something like an attack would surely stop them from laying.

Back
Top Bottom