7 mos old Australorp going broodie already??

TLHloveschicks

Songster
Dec 21, 2018
Central Florida
Oh boy one of my Australorps keeps going back and getting on the nest...we had to pick her up off the nest to get the eggs....I just went out there and she's back on the nest with no eggs in it!! She's in the nest instead of on the roost ...:hmm She's been laying only about a month...I have 12 girls and they are all laying....last night she laid an egg around 8:00pm! But it almost 8:45 is this weird?

Oh boy one of my Australorps keeps going back and getting on the nest...we had to pick her up off the nest to get the eggs....I just went out there and she's back on the nest with no eggs in it!! She's in the nest instead of on the roost ...:hmm She's been laying only about a month...I have 12 girls and they are all laying....last night she laid an egg around 8:00pm! But it almost 8:45 is this weird?
Is she showing any other behaviors typical of a broody?
Is she clucking like a time bomb?
Puffing up her feathers like a turkey?
Being generally irritable with the other pullets?
Flattening herself out on the nest like a pancake and growling at you when you try to remove her from the nest box?

Is she showing any other behaviors typical of a broody?
Is she clucking like a time bomb?
Puffing up her feathers like a turkey?
Being generally irritable with the other pullets?
Flattening herself out on the nest like a pancake and growling at you when you try to remove her from the nest box?
No she is not DobieLover...maybe she is just is laying late at night? But staying on the nest for almost 3 hrs? I will see in the morning if she laid an egg...not going back out there tonight time for bed! Thank you for the broodyl behavior check list...now I know what to look for :)

No she is not DobieLover...maybe she is just is laying late at night? But staying on the nest for almost 3 hrs? I will see in the morning if she laid an egg...not going back out there tonight time for bed! Thank you for the broodyl behavior check list...now I know what to look for :)
She may be struggling to pass a soft shelled or shell-less egg.

I’m not an expert on broody hens (I have an American Game hen I wanted to hatch out some chicks - father is a bantam cross and was curious to see what they made ;) - and I just never collected the eggs and it all went smoothly). I just figured so long as you collect the eggs daily, you don’t really have to worry too much (but I could be wrong ...).

I also have an older Barred Rock (6 yrs) who has always taken her sweet time in the nest box, sometimes going back in for seconds later in the day after spending over an hour or two in there. I just collected the eggs and they never had a chance to go full broody.

Back
Top Bottom