7-Week-Old Chick "pine shaving" bathing??

Eggcentric NanaJ

Nanna's Eggcentric Laybrary & Eggcademy
Premium Feather Member
Feb 9, 2023
Metro Portland, OR
I have 14 beautiful, growing so fast my head is spinning, chicks. I am a New Chick Mommy with my first click of chicks. They are a flock of mixed breeds. One chick is digging what looked in initially like a nest and is "pine shaving" bathing area. I am very hands on with them and none of them have any bugs or skin issues. What am I missing? Or is this normal? I have expanded their brooder (6' x 3' x 26"), into a multi-level brooder (6' x 3' x 5') with roosts, so they can stretch their wings until their new coop is completed. Maybe I could add another level with a sand box dust bath and swing set?? I tried to get a photo of her in action, but of course she wouldn't comply.

Attachments

• Week 4.JPG
    Week 4.JPG
    413 KB · Views: 63
  • Week 6 cleanout.JPG
    Week 6 cleanout.JPG
    248.8 KB · Views: 15
  • Week 6 remodle.JPG
    Week 6 remodle.JPG
    329 KB · Views: 18
  • Week 7 roosts.JPG
    Week 7 roosts.JPG
    275.5 KB · Views: 18
The impulse to dust bathe is very strong, so they will do it no matter what the material. Also, chicks just like to practice behaviors for when they are older. You can put in a basin of sorts with dry dirt in it so they can do it properly, or they will just find a way to do it outside later.

Good luck with your new birds! It does go so fast.

The impulse to dust bathe is very strong, so they will do it no matter what the material. Also, chicks just like to practice behaviors. You can put in a basin of sorts with dry dirt in it so they can do it properly, or they will just find a way to do it outside later.
Their instincts are so strong and astonishing. I had made a triangle with dowels for them, it lasted about three weeks, and then they needed a bigger roosting area. I'll make something for them. Roof goes on tomorrow, so the coop is getting closer to completed! Thank you for your reply.

Yeah they really want to be outside by now, so glad your coop is almost done! The instinct to dust bathe and sunbathe is strong for sure, so they'll roll in bedding, their food, etc.

10 day old chicks having their first dust bath. Quite literally the first thing they did when I let them out of the brooder for the first time:
early3.jpg

Yeah they really want to be outside by now, so glad your coop is almost done! The instinct to dust bathe and sunbathe is strong for sure, so they'll roll in bedding, their food, etc.

10 day old chicks having their first dust bath. Quite literally the first thing they did when I let them out of the brooder for the first time:
View attachment 3536143
I put a tray of dry garden dirt in their condo sized brooder and they went crazy for it. I had to refill the tray twice! Thank you all for your continued input and support. :love

Back
Top Bottom