7 week old chick ran away. What to do?

kirkster5

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
We just picked up 4 7-week old chicks yesterday and as today was a beautiful day we decided to give them a few moments outside. Well one of them ran away into the woods and we cant find her. It is getting dark and cold and I am looking for any suggestions anyone has as to try and get her to come back. Does a light help/food/anything.

I'm new at all this myownself, so I don't really know. If it's dark I would think that the chick would have holed up somewhere to "roost". Maybe tomorrow morning put the others in a crate or something and sit it near the woods. The lost chick perhaps will hear the cheeping and come join her buddies.

Good luck! I know it's scary.
hugs.gif

Going to be 30 degrees tonight so it will not survive. Any other suggestions out there??

I'm new too or I would hopefully have some wonderful words of wisdom. I just feel your pain and fear and I'm so sorry. It's so nice to let them out on a beautiful day but they are runners and fliers! (sigh)
I agree with letting the other "cheeps" draw her back in and I would think that she would be cheeping when she realized she was separated... however once it got dark she may have roosted somewhere (safe!!!) and is not responding now...
sad.png

I am so sorry....

We put a heat light on the cage that we brought them home in and left it outside where we last saw her hopefully she will see it and think "hey that sort of lookes like home" it is now dark and about 40 degrees outside so I dont think it lookes good. It is simply too cold to risk putting the other 3 outside to try and lure her back.

I too would think she'd be peeping outside all by herself like that was it all quiet when you were outside? Well I'm sure you were probably combing the area being worried and all. I know you feel it'll be too cold for her tonight but you might be pleasantly surprised in the am. at 7 wks mine all have feathered & yours must have too maybe she'll be able to hang on til the am. Are they bantams or full size breeds? I'd be out at the crack of dawn just in case she's out there in need.

You could carry one around in the woods, that would get one chirping. I'm sure because it's dark, it's roosting, and may not chirp. I would be pretty sure that it will survive in 30 degrees. It might be easier to find her in daylight carrying one of her mates.

She is full size(well will be or would have been) she does have her feathers but she is so small I just dont see her surviving. And even if she did we just dont know where she is. She is not making any noise that we can hear but there are so many birds and other noises that unless she is right in front of our noses I'm not sure we would know it was her.

At that age I think she will make it.......unless a predator gets her. She can survive the temp.

They usually come to light.

I bet you'll see her tomorrow.

Please let us know what the outcome is.

Back
Top Bottom