7 week old chick seems wobbly

ScottyGill

Songster
Jun 22, 2019
Dunoon, Argyll & Bute, Scotland
one of my Blue French copper marans chicks is worrying me. She seems very quiet and withdrawn, and although she’s walking and eating and drinking she sometimes seems a little Unsteady on her feet when she does a poo which looks normal, seems to need to sit back for a bit or just wobbles a bit. I’ve given her some nutri drops. Any ideas or suggestions? It’s gone very cold suddenly here in Scotland today, it was 1C this morning.

Attachments

• 599AA926-FC70-4E07-A6E5-517EE6AA8712.jpeg
    599AA926-FC70-4E07-A6E5-517EE6AA8712.jpeg
    713.1 KB · Views: 24
How old is she? Is she warm enough?
They have all been sleeping in the coop for 2 weeks, at advice of many in this forum who assured me they would be fine. It was 16C this afternoon. Just cold first thing. She does run around. They’ve all gone to bed now and we’ve put in lots more bedding for them to cosy up because the little ones haven’t gone up on the roost yet. Would being cold cause a bit of wobblyness? Also it’s in the title 7 weeks but realised it’s 7.5 weeks. Also low morning temp was 33F which might make more sense. It won’t be as cold as this for the next little while, they weather is warming up again! It’s shocked us all!

Last edited:
one of my Blue French copper marans chicks is worrying me. She seems very quiet and withdrawn, and although she’s walking and eating and drinking she sometimes seems a little Unsteady on her feet when she does a poo which looks normal, seems to need to sit back for a bit or just wobbles a bit. I’ve given her some nutri drops. Any ideas or suggestions? It’s gone very cold suddenly here in Scotland today, it was 1C this morning.
Does the Nutri-Drops contain Vitamin E and B2 (Riboflavin)? I can't find an ingredient list for that.
If not, then I would try human B-Complex (1/4 tablet) and Vitamin E (400IU).

Photos of her poop would be good too.

Does the Nutri-Drops contain Vitamin E and B2 (Riboflavin)? I can't find an ingredient list for that.
If not, then I would try human B-Complex (1/4 tablet) and Vitamin E (400IU).

Photos of her poop would be good too.
Yes it has Vit E and Niacin which is B2. If she's still worrying Me tomorrow I'll be on poop watch, what should I be looking out for. They have gone to bed and it's dark now

They have all been sleeping in the coop for 2 weeks, at advice of many in this forum who assured me they would be fine. It was 16C this afternoon. Just cold first thing. She does run around. They’ve all gone to bed now and we’ve put in lots more bedding for them to cosy up because the little ones haven’t gone up on the roost yet. Would being cold cause a bit of wobblyness? Also it’s in the title 7 weeks but realised it’s 7.5 weeks. Also low morning temp was 33F which might make more sense. It won’t be as cold as this for the next little while, they weather is warming up again! It’s shocked us all!
I think the cold has a lot to do with it. Keep an eye on the temps and if it threatens to drop that low again can you put them somewhere a bit warmer? They don't have to bake but IMHO anything under 40F(5C) is too cold for chicks under 12 weeks minimum. Keep up with the vitamins too :)

Yes it has Vit E and Niacin which is B2. If she's still worrying Me tomorrow I'll be on poop watch, what should I be looking out for. They have gone to bed and it's dark now
Niacin is B3:)

B2 is Riboflavin.

I agree, if it's cold, it may not hurt to see if giving her some heat would be beneficial. I would still provide poultry vitamins for a few days. Getting a fecal float for Coccidiosis is a good idea too.

M
Niacin is B3:)

B2 is Riboflavin.

I agree, if it's cold, it may not hurt to see if giving her some heat would be beneficial. I would still provide poultry vitamins for a few days. Getting a fecal float for Coccidiosis is a good idea too.
haha it has got riboflavin. Our cold spell has broken. We’re back to 10C through the night. This morning we thought she hadn’t come out but she was at the feed station under the rain shelter. I’ve set up 3 feed stations so there’s always somewhere else to go. She is definitely brighter today and squeaked and struggled at first when I picked her up. Her body was as warm as toast! She’s had her drops. She’s been walking finen but I noticed she was a bit wobbly when they noticed her and came rushing over to see what she had. She also hangs back on the edge of everything but I noticed she eventually joins. I think she is definitely bottom of the pecking order and a more quiet and cautious nature than her bigger, bolder sister. I’ll keep with the vitamins. I have Corid arriving today as have realised that’s something I should always have to hand. I’ll check poop! I’ve got nutri vitamin drops and a probiotic liquid that I put in their water as well as a little apple cider vinegar as they are incubator chicks and Didn’t have their mums probiotic poos to eat.

What other possible emergency stuff would you recommend?

Sadly things took a turn for the worse. She became completely unable to walk and I found her rolling around and the other chickens pecking at her. Her chest seemed rattly. I haven’t seen any bloody poop and all the others seem fine but I will be watching them like a hawk. This is worst possible timing as going away tomorrow and friends are looking after them for us. I couldn’t watch the suffering so I did my first humane chicken act of relief and she isn’t suffering anymore. I’m on my own. I’m very sad.

I am worried this unseasonal cold snap which has taken us into winter suddenly was too much for her. I read the stress of sudden cold can bring out underlying issues but I have Scottish chickens and they need to be weather hardy. At least I know I have what it takes to be a chicken keeper.

i can’t second guess my decision, I didn’t sleep last night because I knew in my heart this was bad but a hug would be greatly appreciated. I’ve put some vitamins, probiotics and the cocci prevention stuff in their water.

Sadly things took a turn for the worse. She became completely unable to walk and I found her rolling around and the other chickens pecking at her. Her chest seemed rattly. I haven’t seen any bloody poop and all the others seem fine but I will be watching them like a hawk. This is worst possible timing as going away tomorrow and friends are looking after them for us. I couldn’t watch the suffering so I did my first humane chicken act of relief and she isn’t suffering anymore. I’m on my own. I’m very sad.

I am worried this unseasonal cold snap which has taken us into winter suddenly was too much for her. I read the stress of sudden cold can bring out underlying issues but I have Scottish chickens and they need to be weather hardy. At least I know I have what it takes to be a chicken keeper.

i can’t second guess my decision, I didn’t sleep last night because I knew in my heart this was bad but a hug would be greatly appreciated. I’ve put some vitamins, probiotics and the cocci prevention stuff in their water.
Sorry for your loss :( Sometimes they just don't make it for whatever reason - no-one knows. You did the best for her. :hugs

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom