7 week old chick seems wobbly

Sorry for your loss :( Sometimes they just don't make it for whatever reason - no-one knows. You did the best for her. :hugs

Thank you. It was extremely hard but I knew it was the right thing. Everything seems more relaxed in the coop as well. In fact they all hopped on my knee when I went to sit with them. It's like they were reassuring me.

Sadly things took a turn for the worse. She became completely unable to walk and I found her rolling around and the other chickens pecking at her. Her chest seemed rattly. I haven’t seen any bloody poop and all the others seem fine but I will be watching them like a hawk. This is worst possible timing as going away tomorrow and friends are looking after them for us. I couldn’t watch the suffering so I did my first humane chicken act of relief and she isn’t suffering anymore. I’m on my own. I’m very sad.

I am worried this unseasonal cold snap which has taken us into winter suddenly was too much for her. I read the stress of sudden cold can bring out underlying issues but I have Scottish chickens and they need to be weather hardy. At least I know I have what it takes to be a chicken keeper.

i can’t second guess my decision, I didn’t sleep last night because I knew in my heart this was bad but a hug would be greatly appreciated. I’ve put some vitamins, probiotics and the cocci prevention stuff in their water.
I'm very sorry to hear that she didn't make it :hugs

Back
Top Bottom