7 week old chick with feather loss

sunshyn225

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 18, 2011
I hope someone can help. I have eight, 7 week old BLRW chicks in my brooder. Yesterday I bought a new feeder and started them on poultry grower feed as suggested by the feed store. Also, seeing as how they have all of their feathers in, I figured it would be okay to remove the heat lamp (red bulb), so I went ahead and did just that.

This morning when I went downstairs to check them, everyone/everything was perfectly fine. This afternoon they were also fine, but this evening when I went down to check on them I noticed one of them had some wet looking back feathers. I picked him/her up to have a closer look and saw that a large patch of feathers above and under the wing have been plucked out clean!
th.gif

Why would this happen?! Are they just getting too overcrowded in their brooder (large kiddie pool) and are starting to get stressed out? Could the removal of the heat lamp be a problem too?? I just find it odd that this would happen so suddenly.

Here's a picture I took just this morning of the brooder. One chick is behind the feeder.

104_1675.jpg

Not yet, nope. DH is sleeping or else I'd have him help me to take a picture.

I kind of figured the space they are in is way too small for them now.
sad.png
I put the heat lamp back up in hopes that the red light would keep it from doing anymore. Just seems odd that this would start in less than 24 hours after removing it.

Hopefully we can get them into the coop in the next couple days but it's giving rain ALL week!
sad.png

I know that I am running out of room in their brooder. They haven't been pecking each other (as far as I can tell bcuz I have been looking each chick over carefully) but lots of flying around the brooder and chest bumping and the whole pecking order i guess. I have found that if they r acting up I turn the red heat lamp on and for some reason it does help to settle them down. yesterday it was really bad...such a ruckus that I turned all the lights off during the day and the just had some indirect light from the garage door being open and in a little while every1 had settled down and was napping...they were better then afterwards...so it might just b the light. if they don't need the heat anymore, try raising the light so it just throws a red cast of light over them. Hope that helps!
thumbsup.gif

You can put some no pick lotion or salve on the one being picked, if you have it. Or Blu Kote, as some people use. If there is blood, you might have to separate that one until healed (it sounds like you might not have the space to do so though).

They are 7 weeks and would be more entertained to be outside with more things to do (and less time to be pecking each other)...I know you are working on it!!!!
thumbsup.gif

Thanks everyone!
smile.png

I checked the chicks this morning and everyone seemed alright! The chick with the plucked feathers doesn't seem to have anymore missing so that's a plus! Fingers crossed it was just the light that they needed to help calm them! I hope to get them in the coop this week!
wee.gif

I agree it's probably an overcrowding issue. At that age, why are they still in the brooder? They should be fully feathered and can go out to the coop.

Quote:
I would not recommend Blu-Kote for use on chickens because you can't keep chickens from picking at themselves, much like cats, and the label specifically says not to use on food producing animals.

Dr. Naylor Blu-Kote Caution(s)
For external veterinary use only. In case of serious burns, deep or puncture wounds, or if redness, irritation or swelling persists or increases, discontinue use and consult a veterinarian. Keep away from the eyes, mouth, nostrils, and mucous membranes. Do not spray in the eyes. Do not inhale. Do not use on cats. Prevent dogs from licking the treated area.

For animal use only.

Keep from the reach of children.

Use only as directed.
Warning(s)
Not for use on food producing animals.

http://www.drugs.com/vet/dr-naylor-blu-kote.html

Last edited:
Quote:
For the simple fact that my husband and I both work. He works 7 days a week as a lobster fisherman. Leaves at 4am and isn't home until 5pm or later. By the time we finish supper and do a few house chores we are out of daylight.

We are hoping to have it completely finished this evening if he gets in a bit earlier than usual.
fl.gif

Quote:
For the simple fact that my husband and I both work. He works 7 days a week as a lobster fisherman. Leaves at 4am and isn't home until 5pm or later. By the time we finish supper and do a few house chores we are out of daylight.

We are hoping to have it completely finished this evening if he gets in a bit earlier than usual.
fl.gif

Well, no coop is a good reason for them not being in one. I hope you are able to get it done today and I'm sorry you are so pressed for quality time. Good luck!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom