7 week-old chicks just moved outside

mikgub

Chirping
6 Years
Dec 12, 2017
Good evening, chicken folks! I've been checking the forums since we got chickens 18 months ago, but I finally made myself an account just to ask for ideas/confirmation tonight. Here's what's worrying me:

I moved my 7-week old chicks outside today. They have been in my unheated basement since day 1 and have been without a heat lamp for at least 3 weeks now. The coop is not insulated. They will be out of the wind and dry, but they probably won't have been below freezing in the basement up until now. What's worrying me is that it's only going to be 20 degrees tonight plus wind. When I went to check on them, they were all huddled together and cheeping. Should I be worried? There is no power to the coop, so heat isnt an option. I already dismantled their brooder box, so they can't come back in.

IF I need to be worried, what can I do for them tonight? Thanks in advance for the advice!

Welcome! You can add bedding, straw, hay, or whatever.
Make sure there's no wind through the coop. Plastic wrap is your friend! DO NOT block upper ventilation, though.
How are you managing their waterer? They need unfrozen water when they are up during daylight hours.
I don't like that they are cheeping; are they really cold, or only upset about the change?
Mary

Thank you! I have about an inch of bedding in there, but I can add more. We didn't have any problems with our water (horizontal nipples in a 5-gallon bucket) last year. I'll check the chicks' water (same setup) first thing in the morning when I take the dog out.

It was the cheeping that concerned me too. I think I'll go back out and take a look and see how they are now.

Are they still cheeping?
No (thank goodness)! I went out just now with a cardboard box and some extra bedding. There was no cheeping when I approached the coop. They didn't love me messing around in there, but I put the box on its side and covered it with bedding and checked on their food and water. I'll do another check before I go to bed, but it seems like they might be alright.

Thank you, again, for the help.

I was going to suggest a huddle box, before I got to your last post. If the box is on it's side, just make sure it won't flip over and trap them inside.

:welcome

Back
Top Bottom