7 week old dies unexpectedly

nizniqueboxers

In the Brooder
Jun 25, 2016
OK chicken friends, what's wrong with my babies? Polish chickens, about 7 weeks old, 3 of them (to start anyway, now just 1). Lethargic, normal poop, head nodding...one dies and the one other looks bad but seems to perk up...6 hours later, not doing well. Lying down, can't stand, falls over, kinda seizes and dies. ...one left...he's eating and seems to be doing OK, though he is kind of freaking out being alone now...my first thought was cocci so I started them on corid this morning.

I have 6 adult girls but they are in the backyard (babies were contained in the garage). I think I have been pretty good with cross contasminating but the babies have spent some time contained in the backyard.

Any ideas?

Are you making sure they are getting enough water.
Normal poop is not a sign of Cocci..
Can you post a pic of their poop.
Can you get some Nutri Drench and offer a few drops in the remaining ones mouths asap.

(do you own boxers)

Are you making sure they are getting enough water.
Normal poop is not a sign of Cocci..
Can you post a pic of their poop.
Can you get some Nutri Drench and offer a few drops in the remaining ones mouths asap.

(do you own boxers)
They always have water and I replace daily. I have moved the one into a new area and cleaned so will post poop when he/she goes.

(I have 2 boxers and they are great with my big girls)

They always have water and I replace daily. I have moved the one into a new area and cleaned so will post poop when he/she goes.

(I have 2 boxers and they are great with my big girls)
(I have 4 and I am a huge fan of the breed)

Just wondering if they had been pecked in the head.

You mention "head nodding" - do you have a video? Is the head/neck twisting possibly?

Do the best you can, as @KikisGirls mentioned, offer your chick some poultry vitamins - Poultry Nutri-Drench is good. If the neck/head appears to be twisting (crookneck), make sure whatever vitamin you give has Vitamin E. Also offer some chopped egg or tuna for Selenium.

If this is the last chick and it's distressed by being alone - place a stuffed animal or feather duster in the brooder for it to cuddle with. You can also put an unbreakable mirror in the brooder for it to see itself.

Let us know how it goes.

Just an update that #3 (edith/eddie) is still with us this morning! Thank you for the advice I will put all suggestions in place and post a video later.

I told my husband if this one makes, and turns out to be a roo I'm still keeping it (we can't have roos)!

Just an update that #3 (edith/eddie) is still with us this morning! Thank you for the advice I will put all suggestions in place and post a video later.

I told my husband if this one makes, and turns out to be a roo I'm still keeping it (we can't have roos)!
What have you done/given him to help so far?

What have you done/given him to help so far?
Fresh water with corid, cleaned all his pen and everything in it with ammonia and moved him. He is out of the garage and in the front courtyard (open air but far from my other chickens). Added a feather duster so he doesn't feel alone. I am heading out soon to see if I can find the supplement you mentioned/electrolytes.

I as thinking this am about the 2nd one that I watched start to die (but had my hubby end). In the minutes leading up to her death, she seemed overheated, lying down, panting, trying to extend/flap her wings. She had no balance even lying down. She would get up and stumble (very much like dogs do after a seizure). She eventually flipped over onto her back and that's when I made the call...

Open to ideas on what else I can do for Edith/Eddie...

Back
Top Bottom