7 Week Old - Muscovy Ducks

Try to get good pictures of them all (the younger ones too) and I'll try my best to tell you their genders. It's often said you can tell by 4 weeks old, but it's easier for those with a trained eye. I've had practice with my 156 muscovy ducklings I hatched out this year so I'm starting to be able to tell more easily. Lol
Im going to try to take pictures now. 😊 thank you for your help!!

The first 3 are the almost 8 week old and the last 3 are the almost 6 week old.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1442140961.jpg
    Snapchat-1442140961.jpg
    462.9 KB · Views: 11
  • Snapchat-1783877052.jpg
    Snapchat-1783877052.jpg
    531.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Snapchat-417610766.jpg
    Snapchat-417610766.jpg
    520 KB · Views: 9
  • Snapchat-1069877378.jpg
    Snapchat-1069877378.jpg
    495.2 KB · Views: 10
  • Snapchat-1270783280.jpg
    Snapchat-1270783280.jpg
    467 KB · Views: 11
  • Snapchat-1686721340.jpg
    Snapchat-1686721340.jpg
    712.2 KB · Views: 12
The first 3 are the almost 8 week old and the last 3 are the almost 6 week old.

Whew ok, I have to admit, they're stumping me a little more than I anticipated. 😅 It's so much easier to tell when you see them all together. Lol It's one of those things where the longer you look at them individually, the more you question yourself. 🤣

My best guess would be:

Pic 1: Maybe boy, maybe girl, really torn on this one but leaning more towards boy

Pic 2: Girl

Pic 3: Maaaaybe boy (the feet don't look as large as in the first posts pic, go figure lol)

Pic 4: Maaaaybe girl, but when compared to pic 5, I wanna say boy

Pic 5: Definite girl

Pic 6: This one's even harder to tell. He looks like he's either a runt or actually slightly younger than the other 2. I'm leaning towards boy.

I should have specified to grab some pics of all of them together (or a video, even). I didn't realize how much harder it is to tell gender when you can't compare side by side. Lol Even looking at pics of my own scovies of the same age as yours, it throws me off a little, but seeing them in person makes it clear as day who's male and female. Sorry I couldn't be as accurate as I'd hoped. :oops:

Whew ok, I have to admit, they're stumping me a little more than I anticipated. 😅 It's so much easier to tell when you see them all together. Lol It's one of those things where the longer you look at them individually, the more you question yourself. 🤣

My best guess would be:

Pic 1: Maybe boy, maybe girl, really torn on this one but leaning more towards boy

Pic 3: Maaaaybe boy (the feet don't look as large as in the first posts pic, go figure lol)

Pic 6: This one's even harder to tell. He looks like he's either a runt or actually slightly younger than the other 2. I'm leaning towards boy.

I should have specified to grab some pics of all of them together (or a video, even). I didn't realize how much harder it is to tell gender when you can't compare side by side. Lol Even looking at pics of my own scovies of the same age as yours, it throws me off a little, but seeing them in person makes it clear as day who's male and female. Sorry I couldn't be as accurate as I'd hoped. :oops:
I understand this completely. I go back and forth on genders everyday. I will try to get some pictures of them all together today. :cool:

I have pictures but I am having problems attaching them.🙁

My best guess would be:

My best guess would be:

Sorry it took so long to post the pictures but I had issues attaching them.

Attachments

• Snapchat-722800282.jpg
    Snapchat-722800282.jpg
    970.7 KB · Views: 6
  • Snapchat-435497799.jpg
    Snapchat-435497799.jpg
    642 KB · Views: 4
  • Snapchat-2024018607.jpg
    Snapchat-2024018607.jpg
    642.3 KB · Views: 7
Thank you so much for alerting me of this. I was out watching them in the grass today and I noticed the 1 duck had his wings tilted out. I didnt think much of it. It was on the biggest duck and I figured because it was so big it caused the wings to tilt out. Ive never heard of the angel wing thing before. Is it something to worry about?
The condition is not deadly or anything, but most people like to correct it for looks and or flying mobility. If you want to fix it do so as quickly as possible. The longer it is left the less likely it is it can be corrected, because the twisted joint will set that way.

If you want to fix it cut a small hole in an old sock or stocking toe, fold the wings up the way your normal ducklings are, then slide the sock over the duckling holding the wings in proper place with its head out the cut hole. When the wing stays in its proper place remove the sock. Can take a day or a couple days to set the joint in proper position.

The condition is not deadly or anything, but most people like to correct it for looks and or flying mobility. If you want to fix it do so as quickly as possible. The longer it is left the less likely it is it can be corrected, because the twisted joint will set that way.

If you want to fix it cut a small hole in an old sock or stocking toe, fold the wings up the way your normal ducklings are, then slide the sock over the duckling holding the wings in proper place with its head out the cut hole. When the wing stays in its proper place remove the sock. Can take a day or a couple days to set the joint in proper position.
I was told that it is too late to do anything. Does it cause them pain? Is there anything more serious that could happen as a result of this? The duck with it is now 9 weeks old.

Back
Top Bottom