7 week olds, need genders please

I am going against the grain here, and saying they all look pretty girly to me. The saddle feathers on the light brahma are too rounded by half and the colouring is right - girl. The buff brahma - is that it on the second pic, turned away? - Definately girl. The cochin is a bad black, no blue, and is probably going to turn out to be a boy, but too early to tell. The second pic of the Easter Egger - no clue, but leaning towards boy with his carriage and hackles.

I think the buff brahma looks like a girl. Look at that big fluffy butt!

I'm going to question Sarah, though and say I can see a pointy saddle feather on the 'light brahma' and, compared to the buff, there's a lot more comb going on. I'd lean towards roo.

I've learned over the years that usually, you don't want to see red in the face of a 7 week old chick, typically it's a boy. But... it can vary. I had this little rose comb chicken, D'Anver mix. She bloomed up a red comb early, and I thought for sure it was going to crow at some point. I got an egg instead.

Sometimes I can tell by the comb on hatch day, or even when it's pipped and I can see a comb on it, sometimes I can tell then if it's a boy or girl. Others I have to wait and see what colors come in, if I know what to expect for the breed. But generally... you don't want that amount of red on a 7 week old baby, it usually means male. But there are some, both male and female, that will throw you for a loop.

But... that's not the case here. There are at least 3 boys in that mix. I don't know Brahmas that well though, so I could be wrong. But the Cochin is a boy for sure. The Silkie mix... I'm 50/50 on.

Looking again at the Brahmas... the buff one might actually be a female, but the last one is a boy.

Ok, my final answer...

Girl (maybe)
Dunno
Boy
Boy

Quote:
All roos (IMO). I would say those combs and wattles are pretty typical for a 7 week old. Sorry- but if it makes you feel better I have 2 roos and they are fabulous and really watch out for my pullets well.

My problem is i have 2 roos already, my banty whatchamacallit lol and my BLRW, and these are my babies, but ive fallen in love with the babies too....and i only have 4 girls so i definately CANNOT have that many roos with my 4 pullets. I dont wanna getrid of them at all!

Back
Top Bottom