1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

7 weeks still broody!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Dray67, May 31, 2011.

1. Dray67

Dray67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Aberdeen, MD
    My Ameraucana went broody 7 weeks ago. After sitting on her own infertile eggs for a week I swapped them out for fertile eggs from a friend. 19 days later she or one of the flock mates broke the eggs killing the 4 chicks. I gave her a new set a few days later that were due to hatch yesterday, they did not! NOW WHAT! I thought she would eventually get tired of sitting and get up but that is not happening. Do I give her more eggs but that would mean 3 more weeks of sitting!
    Dave

2. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:As a rule Broodies eat very little.Over a period of time they get very skinny and can eventually die from lack of food. I would not give her more eggs at this time. Put her in a wire cage without any bedding for a fews days to break her of being broody.

3. pixiedouglas

pixiedouglas Chillin' With My Peeps

Get her some day old chicks if you really want chicks, but I wouldn't let her keep sitting. She's going to starve herself to death. I would not let her start over after this much time.

There's a lot of posts on here about how to slip the day olds under a broody so if you have access to any try that. After all the sitting she's done she deserves something to show for it.

4. Dray67

Dray67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2010
    Aberdeen, MD
    SHE HATCHED AN EGG TODAY! so i hope that will break the habit!

5. nuchickontheblock

nuchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2010
    south portland, maine
    Exciting! Keep us posted on how she does. She may hatch out a few more babies yet! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by