7 weeks still broody!

Dray67

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 27, 2010
Aberdeen, MD
My Ameraucana went broody 7 weeks ago. After sitting on her own infertile eggs for a week I swapped them out for fertile eggs from a friend. 19 days later she or one of the flock mates broke the eggs killing the 4 chicks. I gave her a new set a few days later that were due to hatch yesterday, they did not! NOW WHAT! I thought she would eventually get tired of sitting and get up but that is not happening. Do I give her more eggs but that would mean 3 more weeks of sitting!
Dave

rebel-rousing-at-night

Songster
10 Years
Oct 16, 2010
Appalachian Rain Forest
Quote:
As a rule Broodies eat very little.Over a period of time they get very skinny and can eventually die from lack of food. I would not give her more eggs at this time. Put her in a wire cage without any bedding for a fews days to break her of being broody.

pixiedouglas

Songster
Oct 19, 2010
California Central Coast
Get her some day old chicks if you really want chicks, but I wouldn't let her keep sitting. She's going to starve herself to death. I would not let her start over after this much time.

There's a lot of posts on here about how to slip the day olds under a broody so if you have access to any try that. After all the sitting she's done she deserves something to show for it.

nuchickontheblock

Songster
9 Years
May 16, 2010
south portland, maine
Exciting! Keep us posted on how she does. She may hatch out a few more babies yet!
jumpy.gif

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom