70 degrees and sunny, ok for 3 week olds?

Erin80

Songster
Apr 16, 2017
Is this warm enough for them to go out for a bit in the big tractor on the grass? They have shade available as 1/3 of the tractor is covered. No wind today.

ETA breeds are Ameraucana, silkie and orpington!

Anyone?
They’re out there now, quiet and pecking around. Just not sure how long they can or should be out 😊

I don’t know what’s proper, but I had my chicks at that age outside on the warmer days. I put an upside down box with a door cut out over a chick heating pad so they could warm up if needed and they were just fine. I just kept an eye on them and if they were huddled under the box I brought them in.

I took mine out at 2 weeks, I spent the week letting the older hens snoop around and get use to the chicks, this was about June 2 or so, it was not all that warm maybe 65 or 70.
I gave them shade if they wanted it and tried to block any wind that kicked up. If they are cold you will know, huddle,huddle,huddle.
IMG_1084.JPG

A good bit of input here, but it's been a long time since we've raised chicks so I can't say on age vs. temp. BUT I would say PLEASE make sure to not leave them unmonitored in case of predators (even something like dogs/cats and especially larger birds like hawks and crows).

A good bit of input here, but it's been a long time since we've raised chicks so I can't say on age vs. temp. BUT I would say PLEASE make sure to not leave them unmonitored in case of predators (even something like dogs/cats and especially larger birds like hawks and crows).
No worries, they’re in a fully fenced backyard in a secure chicken tractor 🙂. We are out with them mostly.

They were out for a few hours in the sun, they had so much fun! We just put them back in their brooder and they are so tired, immediately started preening and falling asleep. So cute!

Don't forget to provide shade for them, too - particularly as the temps begin to climb - even if its just clothes-pinning a towel or some scrap fabric to part of the mobile tractor to give them a place to go. Mine will dart there when the adult flock sees a predator and alerts. They will also dart there when they see me walking by - we don't socialize much, mine are egg laying machines or dinner. Or egg laying machines until they become dinner.

Back
Top Bottom