$70 for a flock of 7?

Moochie

Songster
9 Years
Nov 8, 2010
North Edwards
Mom just exploded on me telling me to take down the craigslist ad about the ducks because I priced the entire flock $35. I honestly think it's a good price, I'm not a greedy person and pretty soon I will be old enough to make serious decisions in life and I thought this would be a good start.
I think the ducks are a waste of money because they only lay 3 months a year while the 4 runners I just got recently will be laying year-round once they reach laying age. The rouens are just pee-yew too, whenever I empty the duck water it goes to this grass in front of my fence and I can faintly smell it from across the street. Less ducks would be a great thing for both money handling and so I don't have so much mud in the yard.
I don't think anyone is gonna buy 7 ducks including a drake for $70, I wouldn't jeez.

Well, sorry- but there's more then 10 in ducks and drakes that are old enough to lay eggs.

I think she should have had you pull the add and then calmly told you why.

I don't think you should be pricing or selling animals if you did not pay to buy them and pay for everything that went into them (food, medicine, fences, pens, nets, etc.)

You gotta look at this form her side too- We paid 2.50 a duckling or spent X KwHr incubating them, time, and food.

Then my child decided to sell some w/o asking me for how much and which ones, besides duck XXX is my favorite.

Why not meet her in the middle at $50 for the flock? I do think $35 is probably short-selling yourself. That is how much you'd pay for ducklings and you've fed them and done all the hard work growing them out. $10/duck doesn't seem totally outlandish but if you're hoping to sell the whole flock together, I'd give the buyer a deal. Even at $50 for the whole flock they might end up as dinner but at $35 they almost definitely end up as dinner. I don't know if you care about that or not.

Well, I sold my pair of pekins for 20. I had them listed for 30, but the girl who bought them bought them for pets so I took off 10. I traded a pair of silkies for the 2 of them, and 2 anconas. I'd put them on CL for at least $50-60, you can always take less.

$70 is a very reasonable price for a flock of 7 ducks. That's only $10 each, which someone has already pointed out is less than the money you've got in them. Are they your ducks or your moms? Who pays for their feed? Who bought them? Can you guys talk it out and figure out something that works for both of you?

My mom isn't a duck lover so I would guess they're mine. I don't really want them so they're in the middle of being her's or mine. I payed $40 for them a month ago because that's what the lady was asking. She couldn't catch the 4 I was originally was going to get so she gave us eight 4 month olds straight run. There were 2 drakes and mom ate one. Anyways mom payed additional money, in total we gave the lady $67. I was unaware of the extra money though.
hmm.png

Actually, I wanted egg-laying breeds. Someone was selling khaki campells 10 bucks a duck and I heard that khakis were excellent egg layers. I thought 3 of them would be enough (I already have 2 cresteds) but mom said that we should check around locally first.
And someone had rouens. I did not want rouens. Mom did not want to drive 45 minutes to get ducks. Her arguement was valid, with gas being expensive here, but I knew the ducks would be a waste aswell. Feed em' all year and they only give us something in return in the spring months. Ehh.

Uuurrggg! I wish my rouen would start laying soon! I have some welsh harlequin, some rouen, and some khaki eggs in my bator, I want some khaki girls bad!

I got six ducklings from a local co op and they were al males but two, I sold two males and got my breeding pair of calls I have wanted since forever, my two female ducks I have now werent laying so I got 4 welsh harlequins, I still liked the rouens so I got two rouen girls as well, then I wanted some khaki girls for my khaki drake, so now I have 6 ducks, 6 ducklings, and five khaki eggs in the bator. What will I do with my self
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif

My daughter did something similar recently. We were at a show- and someone was admiring her Silver laced Wyandotte and asked if she would sell her. My Daughter said she was going to be for sale once the show season ended- and when asked a price she blurted out - oh about $20. We hatched out a number of them- but only grew out two- the sister of the said hen sold earlier this year at 12 weeks old for $60. No way I am going to let her sell that hen for $20...

I always find it interesting to read about the prices of ducks - and other birds - over in America. I sell my 4 day old ducklings at $20 each and sometimes cant keep up with the demand for them. Young ducks around the 4 - 6 week mark sell for $40 each, point of lay $50 and upwards depending on the quality of the colouring of the bird. Top price I have sold a bird for is over the $100 mark...so reading about 7 ducks for $70 just makes me think that if people over there dont appreciate the costs involved in raising ducks- they shouldnt be buying them... $70 is more than reasonable when you work out feed costs etc. I know there are huge difference in exchange rates and the costs of living between the two countries, but still... $70 is still very cheap in my opinion. Demand and such at the end of breeding season should be considered as well. If there are a lot of people in your area selling off the extras in preparation for winter people may just be looking for a bargain.

I always find it interesting to read about the prices of ducks - and other birds - over in America. I sell my 4 day old ducklings at $20 each and sometimes cant keep up with the demand for them. Young ducks around the 4 - 6 week mark sell for $40 each, point of lay $50 and upwards depending on the quality of the colouring of the bird. Top price I have sold a bird for is over the $100 mark...so reading about 7 ducks for $70 just makes me think that if people over there dont appreciate the costs involved in raising ducks- they shouldnt be buying them... .

I don't think it it is a case of appreciating the cost as much as it is supply & demand along with percieved value. I currently live in Sanford, North Carolina. The local feed store sells Ducklings for $2-$4 for most breeds. 3-4 Month-olds are sold for about $6-$7, and adults are sold for about $15. Knowing what the store sells them for, it is hard for a local individual to sell them for more (and we have many people selling birds). It is like that for all fowl here. I bought my day-old Indian Runners for $4ea and my day-old Appleyards for $7ea (since they are a rare breed here), I also bought my Guineas for like $3-$3.50ea....​

$70 is fair for purebred ducks of laying age as a whole starter group. $35... too cheap unless you just want them gone.

If it were me, I would try to get enough from the sale to make improvements for ease of care on who you have left. When I sold my bunnies, I managed to get twice what I paid, and put that money towards the load of gravel in the duck run, to eliminate the mud issue. No mud, no stink! There was also money from the ducks.. I shared an order with someone, we both spent $10 each on the ducklings, he bought the feed, then when he came to pick up his share, he gave me another $40 for my efforts. So that rounded out the little more I needed for the $100 load of gravel.

Now.. if you price them too cheap, people may think there's something wrong with them. Selling stuff is weird. I had Rockband 2 for XBox 360.. wanted it gone from the basement, worked fine... didn't play it anymore. priced it at $40... didn't move, not one call. Raised it to $80... sold that day. Weird, right?

With my rabbits... I priced them at $60 each knowing I would take $40. $40... for rabbits... too expensive for average or pet bunnies, too cheap for supposed show bunnies, depending on breed. So I didn't start at $40. I started them at $60 each or $80 for both... sold them both to a pet home. They were nice buns, right size, right color, right shape. Healthy and super friendly, clean.. no pee colored feet or anything.

Now your ducks. There are 7... just one drake or two? I'm trying to think on creative pricing to make the buy-all price the best deal. If there are 2 drakes, one Trio for $40, and the Quad for $50. Or take all for $70. Something like that. $35... what, do they have mites and missing feathers or what?

You didn't get any responses on the add for $35? Or did you? It is too cheap... but am wondering if people were trying to jump on that or not. Might be limited demand for ducks.

Back
Top Bottom