7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by ronott1, Nov 10, 2015.

1. chicken pickin

chicken pickin Overrun With Chickens

Mar 3, 2012
    This is what I use as well. They work fantastically! When candling BCM this light allows you to watch the air cell for size and sometimes you can see movement. I use duct tape, taped to the light end of the flashlight to funnel the light and allows the egg to rest perfectly against it with out the accidental bump and crack of the hard flash light.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    [​IMG]
    Here are my new 11, I got from my neighbors farms (my rooster was not breeding my hens) same kinds I hatched out last group minus the RIR. These farms had 2 or more roosters on the hens and the eggs have more activity (candled) even fresh than my eggs did.

the 5 egg carton the dad is most likely blue EE over leghorn and production reds. the six egg carton is cochin rooster and blue frizzle rooster over cochins and blue frizzles. I had given this lady the blue frizzles, so they are kinda from my coop.

due 30th or so.

3. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    That is exciting!

[​IMG]

Let the incubating begin!

4. RoodyRodchester

RoodyRodchester Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2015
    Arkansas
    Out of my first hatch I only had 1 hatch and live. He is doing great in his brooder and we give him lots of company with stuffed animals and ourselves but we can't find any new hatches around us to put with him. When our HAL ones hatch he will be 5 weeks. I'm worried that he will be put out with our others by his self as I've never introduced new chicks to them before. Would he be ok if I kept him in the brooder until all new hatches are ready to go out even though he will be 5 weeks bigger than them? Also I have duck eggs (I have no idea what I was thinking) but no adult duck. If I put them out with the chicks will their instincts kick in or will they be more chicken than duck?

5. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    [​IMG]
    remember a mirror too!

1 person likes this.
  6. Wickedchicken6

Wickedchicken6 No Rest For The WicKed Premium Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    Quote:

At noon on December 11, 2015(local time), people all over the world will be setting eggs with the goal of hatching out hundreds of cute little fuzz-butts all on the same day: New Year's Day 2016!

Quick question: As per first thread, noon on December 11....Is that central standard time? I just wanted to clarify. [​IMG]

7. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    I believe it is your local time.

8. generaldsherman

generaldsherman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2015
    Idaho
    my parents had chickens and ducks together.

If you need company for your bird, try your state forum. Maybe someone has a few extra chicks

1 person likes this.
  9. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    TJ's eggs have been getting excellent hatch rates on the auction threads since I started following those threads. Great choice on your bidding and congrats on winning them. You will have a great hatch

10. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Yes! Noon your time, or a time that works best for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by