7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by ronott1, Nov 10, 2015.

1. daxigait

daxigait Overrun With Chickens

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    I read the 101, I am just trying to figure out what has to be, and what people do. It seems to me that there is a basic level and those who do a ton and spend lots of time with the eggs and Bator.

2. Wickedchicken6

Wickedchicken6 No Rest For The WicKed Premium Member

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    I probably missed it...but would you be incubating your own eggs? If you are...you don't really have anything to lose. Or, at least that's what I think. [​IMG]

I check my temp and humidity when I turn the eggs...and I shoot for 5 times a day. I don't have a turner and when I was combining and I couldn't be in all day, I turned the eggs first thing when I got in and before bed. Same thing in the morning. They're turned four times right there. Do you go to the bathroom in the night? There's five turnings...lol. I basically reversed the idea of night and day...they just sat in the day instead of night. But I also have my own eggs. If I had to buy eggs...I'd probably be a bit more particular.

When I candled tonight, I noticed one of the eggs I have incubating right now for the Dec. HAL is from Nov. 11. It was 3 weeks and 3 days when I put them on (4 weeks old today) and it's got a chick in it. [​IMG]

3. daxigait

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    @ronott1what post number was the one on washing eggs that you posted today?

4. MotorcycleChick

MotorcycleChick Gone quackers

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    Ah! But I never said that I had candled.

5. daxigait

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    @Wickedchicken6. I have a really old brower so I will have to turn them, but how much does all that opening to turn the eggs(do you turn part or all the way over?) change the temperature too much?

6. daxigait

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    @MotorcycleChick I will be clueless on doing this too. It looks like your light does it as they sit.

7. MotorcycleChick

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    First, it only changes it a few degrees. Nothing to worry about. Especially when you consider that a hen can leave the nest for half an hour or so.
    As for how much to turn, just kinda roll them half way. The point is to keep them from sticking to the shell.
    Think of it like a pot of tomato soup. If you don't stir it, it burns/sticks to the bottom.
    Turn an odd number of times daily. The best advice is to cut the bottom out of an egg carton. Elevate one end. Then later that day, lift the other end up. Just keep switching ends.

8. chicknlove

chicknlove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Oregon
    That's right you didn't! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. MotorcycleChick

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    That is chicknlove's picture. I have to pick each egg up individually.
    Don't let all of our talking and pictures scare you. It really is not as hard as you are thinking it is. My first hatch was great (I think 95%hatched). I had no turner and was using a styrofoam (still using it) incubator.
    Explain how to zip a jacket or put on a motorcycle helmet. It just had to be done once to understand. Explaining... Yeah, forget it. It can't be explained.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  10. daxigait

Aug 10, 2015
    SW Missouri
    what type of carton? Isn't that a fire hazard? Do you have a picture?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by