7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by ronott1, Nov 10, 2015.

1. Wickedchicken6

Wickedchicken6 No Rest For The WicKed Premium Member Project Manager

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    I set my eggs at high noon CST. They barely fit on one level. I'm just checking if I leave 'em...or if I stack 'em.[​IMG]

And outta the two dirty eggs...one has a HUGE crack in it. Actually it's not one crack but a crack and a branch off of it. I didn't get it wet, wet...I used a dampened paper towel with diluted bleach and wiped it VERY, VERY c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y. I used the quickest drying topcoat that I have for my nails (I LOVE nails too) [​IMG]

And I'm gonna hope for the best. I'd be shocked if it develops![​IMG] I'll candle it after supper.

A couple of questions...am I anywhere close?

1) I need to pm the number of eggs I set today to you.
    2) I need to guess the amount of eggs set by everyone by...the 14th if I want to enter the egg number contest. Is that anywhere close to correct? [​IMG]

2. CGilbert

CGilbert Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2015
    Spirit Lake, ID
    Well, it's been 24 hours... is it too soon to candle? Guess I'm a little anxious, lol

3. Ur-ur-ur-urrr

Ur-ur-ur-urrr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 24, 2015
    Somewhere in MS
    Well done! That's the same thermostat/heater that came on my IncuView. I had a good hatch on my first attempt with the IV... 15 out of 18. Unlike the IncuView, the styrofoam Hova case will have much better insulation properties, so I'm very anxious to see the end results of your upgrade. For future purposes, I plan to use an IncuKit Advanced unit and build a larger incubator. I think your bator will simulate what I hope to build early next year. Keep us posted!!! [​IMG]

4. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    I just did. [​IMG] Of course, I have nine eggs in there that go into lockdown on Sunday, so I had to peek at the ones set yesterday. [​IMG]

5. CGilbert

CGilbert Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2015
    Spirit Lake, ID
    I only candled one. Looks like it's going along nicely.

6. Wickedchicken6

Wickedchicken6 No Rest For The WicKed Premium Member Project Manager

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada

Quote:
    I'm having a hard time keeping track right at the moment. [​IMG]

But if I'd seen/remembered you posting the above...I'd be like What??
    Please set A-L-L the eggs. What choices is there? It's what I'd be doing.[​IMG]

But then, I'm evil incarnate. (Insert evil laugh) [​IMG]

7. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Yes! Send me a pm with the set number.
    Candle every day if you want too...It is up to you.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. rossfam06

rossfam06 Beak Brokers

Sep 20, 2013
    Savannah, GA
    My Coop

:lau. :gig. I am a hatchaholic also. So.......we need to make a HA.

So I set 4 Ayam Cemani eggs and 2 Fibro Cemani eggs. My total is 6!!!!

9. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    I had this bator for a time. This thing keeps great temps, and wow, does it hold humidity. You have it at 29 right now...toooo high! If you were to put another reader in there you would see. I kept that reading at 20/21 for the first week, then, only at 22 for the last. I didn't lock down in it, but I would imagine that 23 is going to be oodles for it. There is that spot on the back side..to put the tip of the bottle it comes with in there. I would just put a drop, and I mean a drop in that hole to keep the humidity at 20/21. I kept the temp..at the top there, at 39.5. This is C. readings. I have a place I can find for you to caculate, but I held the temps at the 39.5 and I had a great great hatch with my OE's, EE's. 26 out of 29 that went into lock down hatched.

10. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    No serial numbers on these ron..strangest thing. They are pretty cheap on e-bay ad through amazon. They just call them the 48 egg incubator. ??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by