7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Candled tonight. Of the 18 shipped eggs 9 have something of veins. Nothing seeping. I need a better candler as this is what I usually see when candling I leave any that don't have veins. And more develope than I thought. Could be some shipped eggs are older and just not developed yet. They have something in them. What I see is nothing like what was just posted. My 12 were very similar looking. Also air space seemed nonexistent at this point. Humidity kept at 40-50%
Ok ok I candled. Can I have my arm back now?
lau.gif

That is good news!
lol.png
Lol, I have done that too, mostly for baby quail though that are the only ones that hatch and refuse to stop cheeping unless carried around all day, and it is too hard to hold them in my hands.

We do what we can to keep them warm for sure.
Apparently, something fell off the transformer outside out house. We watched him put it back on with a super long lighted stick. The power is back on and the bators only went down to 90 degrees... Hooray!!!
I am so happy that the power is back on!

Well, finally candled the first 7 eggs that were set on 12/10. My hatchabatch said that day 7 started this evening, so I candled. 1 had a blood ring, and 2 looked infertile, but it's hard to tell because they are blue eggs. I'll candle again at day 14 and toss what I need to (maybe).

Well, finally candled the first 7 eggs that were set on 12/10. My hatchabatch said that day 7 started this evening, so I candled. 1 had a blood ring, and 2 looked infertile, but it's hard to tell because they are blue eggs. I'll candle again at day 14 and toss what I need to (maybe).

It sounds like you are going to have chicks hatch!

Day 14 will be here before you know it.

It sounds like you are going to have chicks hatch!

Day 14 will be here before you know it.

I sure hope so. Every hatch I figure out something wrong with my incubator. The last batch got a 0% (and found out my incubator was 5 degrees off what it was reading)... batch before that I got 2 out of 12.. before that 5 out of 12.... Most people get better with time. I've gotten worse. But I figure you can't get worse than 0%... and I added a million thermometers this time, 2 fans, an auto-turner... I think that's it. And I'm being very strict on myself to only candle on the important days (7,14, and 18). I need to get the hang of this soon. I have expensive eggs coming in March.

My air cells are a bit larger than I want at this stage, 6 days old..so I upped the humidity a bit. They are happy and swimming around..those little black dots.
Like Shahtar's!

Last edited:
It doesn't go out often. This is just a crazy fluke. This whole week has been crazy! I am in Arizona and this week we got a huge snow storm and had an earthquake during it. Now that is over our power has gone out. Geeze! I would "use the bra" but I lack the size to keep eggs in there...LMAO! It makes sense though. They would stay at 98.6 degrees... :)

Where was the earthquake? Missed it in this part of AZ.

:lol: Lol, I have done that too, mostly for baby quail though that are the only ones that hatch and refuse to stop cheeping unless carried around all day, and it is too hard to hold them in my hands.

Aren't they noisy little critters? Cute, too

As I look at people's candling photos, I have an idea that may help. I use a piece of foam pipe insulation on the end of my flashlight to cradle the egg and keep the light from escaping. Any light other than that coming from the egg can make it more difficult to see the inside of the egg, so a pitch dark room and no escaping light can make candling more effective.

Back
Top Bottom