7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

I heard a faint peeping noise from my little duckies! I candled and have 7 living babies inside. I took them out of the turner last night and laid them on their side. Talked to them and got a response ! So fun. This morning I woke up and peeped at the eggs and one rocked around a bit. It's going to be hard not to check on them every few min until FRIDAY ?!! Seems soo far away. I'd better go get out of the house for a while. I'm on vacation from work. This is going to be the longest couple days ever! Happy Waiting EVERYONE haha
roll.png

Quick question - these chicks are from Thanksgiving (the day after) - so almost 5 weeks old. They are mostly feathered, but heads still covered in down. They play outside during the day when the weather is nice, but have really been living in the brooder... but I will need to move them along to make room for the new hatch. Do you think they are ready to be moved into my starter coop? or - do you think it would be better for me to bring them inside for another week or two? I'm in central North Carolina so its not really that cold (compared to Wisconsin, where I grew up). I do NOT have heat lamp in the starter coop. What would you do?
If they're already 5 weeks old, then they don't need a heat lamp anymore. They look fully feathered and will do just fine without a heat lamp. Just make sure the coop isn't cold/wet/drafty. Remember, chickens do well even when temperatures are well below freezing. I think they're ready to go in your starter coop.

Well, 4 quail eggs went into the lockdown incubator yesterday evening... Then my small children decided that rough housing near the incubators was a good idea...
Both lockdown incubators crashed to the floor. 3 out of 4 quail eggs were cracked or crushed. The Ameraucana lockdown incubator only had 3 eggs and none of them cracked (too scared to candle). Anyway, from the 7 eggs in lockdown, only 4 remain.
3 more eggs go into lockdown today. The main incubator remained in place, thank the Lord.

My friend says i have the worst luck with chickens they've ever seen. I'm beginning to believe them.

If they're already 5 weeks old, then they don't need a heat lamp anymore. They look fully feathered and will do just fine without a heat lamp. Just make sure the coop isn't cold/wet/drafty. Remember, chickens do well even when temperatures are well below freezing. I think they're ready to go in your starter coop.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I'll transition them - we have a couple "starter" coops - but one is more dry and probably better (just less run space and closer to the big hens!)

gig.gif
LOL I used to let them free fly... my dad said I had to stop cause they were pooping on the roof. Now they just stay in their pen and everyone is happy (even them, they are scared of coming out of their pen cause a hawk has been hanging around).

This is the female who is sitting on the egg, her mate is in the background standing on their nest spot. I'll tell them you are cheering them on.
lau.gif

gig.gif
LOL I used to let them free fly... my dad said I had to stop cause they were pooping on the roof. Now they just stay in their pen and everyone is happy (even them, they are scared of coming out of their pen cause a hawk has been hanging around).

This is the female who is sitting on the egg, her mate is in the background standing on their nest spot. I'll tell them you are cheering them on.
lau.gif

gig.gif

lau.gif

I've always thought I would like to own and race pigeons. Don't know anything about racing them just like the idea of it.

Back
Top Bottom