7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Bama, inbreeding is not a big deal with chickens. If you can trade with someone with the first import and combine them with yours, they will be fine. You only need to trade off every five years with a partner.

Check out how to do this by checking Bob Blosl's information.

If the second import sucks, you do not need to mess with it.

Last edited:
So are you saying someone other than GFF imported them?
Mine came from Greenfire Farms (south of the Mason/ Dixon line) and I kept 2 females from Wali's eggs (mix of 1st and 2nd imports).

One group of mine came from Walli's 1st import. I also have some from OR, Candi Johnson. Hers are 1st import also. I have a couple of Walli's that are original crossed with second import. I don't know of anyone besides GFF that imported them. And yes, you are right, they are south of the MDL. These are some young ones from Candi.

One group of mine came from Walli's 1st import. I also have some from OR, Candi Johnson. Hers are 1st import also. I have a couple of Walli's that are original crossed with second import. I don't know of anyone besides GFF that imported them. And yes, you are right, they are south of the MDL. These are some young ones from Candi.
Nice looking birds! I was going to get some of Candi's stock but she sold her breeders.

Lol.

Thank you Cynthia! Very excited...got everything except hardware cloth or chicken wire or something to put in the bottom of the incubator to set the eggs and water bowl on...wheeeeee lol!

Thank you Cynthia! Very excited...got everything except hardware cloth or chicken wire or something to put in the bottom of the incubator to set the eggs and water bowl on...wheeeeee lol!
@beaches4me Since you have posted twice and you seem close, I have added you to the members list!

fl.gif
I hope you get it all set up for hatch set day!

Thank you Thank you Thank you @ronott1 I am soooooooooooooooo excited~~ I wanted to do this last year but well, we were still in recovery from our auto accident and it wasn't meant to be, but now, woot woot, lets do this!! :)

So happy that you can make it this yr. Be careful out there! Where are you from? Snow on the roads in the winter?

On the liner for your bator, not sure what you bator is, but I like using the cheap kitchen liner. Keeps little toes from getting stuck in the squares. I tried the cheesecloth..like the liner better. May need to add a sponge during lock down to bring humidity up, but it's worth having toes and legs saved. I have heard that using a screen, like from a screen door works well for them. I just like the idea of not having a real dirty bator after the hatching, and the liner helps with that, and the cheesecloth. :)

So happy that you can make it this yr. Be careful out there! Where are you from? Snow on the roads in the winter?

On the liner for your bator, not sure what you bator is, but I like using the cheap kitchen liner. Keeps little toes from getting stuck in the squares. I tried the cheesecloth..like the liner better. May need to add a sponge during lock down to bring humidity up, but it's worth having toes and legs saved. I have heard that using a screen, like from a screen door works well for them. I just like the idea of not having a real dirty bator after the hatching, and the liner helps with that, and the cheesecloth. :)
The kitchen liner can be washed in your washing machine too.

Back
Top Bottom