7th Annual BYC New Year's Day 2016 Hatch-A-Long

Discussion in 'Hatch-A-Longs' started by ronott1, Nov 10, 2015.

1. ronott1

ronott1 A chicken will always remember the egg Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Wodland, CA
    My Coop
    Bama, inbreeding is not a big deal with chickens. If you can trade with someone with the first import and combine them with yours, they will be fine. You only need to trade off every five years with a partner.

Check out how to do this by checking Bob Blosl's information.

If the second import sucks, you do not need to mess with it.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
    2 people like this.
  2. cree57i

cree57i Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Mar 1, 2014
    Mt. Juliet, TN
    One group of mine came from Walli's 1st import. I also have some from OR, Candi Johnson. Hers are 1st import also. I have a couple of Walli's that are original crossed with second import. I don't know of anyone besides GFF that imported them. And yes, you are right, they are south of the MDL. These are some young ones from Candi.
    [​IMG]

3. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    Nice looking birds! I was going to get some of Candi's stock but she sold her breeders.

4. bamadude

bamadude Overrun With Chickens

Jan 26, 2014
    skipperville
    Lol. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  5. beaches4me

beaches4me Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2012
    Clifton Forge, VA
    Thank you Cynthia! Very excited...got everything except hardware cloth or chicken wire or something to put in the bottom of the incubator to set the eggs and water bowl on...wheeeeee lol!

6. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Wodland, CA
    My Coop
    @beaches4me Since you have posted twice and you seem close, I have added you to the members list!

[​IMG] I hope you get it all set up for hatch set day!

7. beaches4me

beaches4me Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2012
    Clifton Forge, VA

8. Cynthia12

Cynthia12 Always Grateful Premium Member

Apr 11, 2010
    Utah
    So happy that you can make it this yr. Be careful out there! Where are you from? Snow on the roads in the winter?

On the liner for your bator, not sure what you bator is, but I like using the cheap kitchen liner. Keeps little toes from getting stuck in the squares. I tried the cheesecloth..like the liner better. May need to add a sponge during lock down to bring humidity up, but it's worth having toes and legs saved. I have heard that using a screen, like from a screen door works well for them. I just like the idea of not having a real dirty bator after the hatching, and the liner helps with that, and the cheesecloth. :)

9. ronott1

Mar 31, 2011
    Wodland, CA
    My Coop
    The kitchen liner can be washed in your washing machine too.

1 person likes this.
  10. LavacaChickens

LavacaChickens New Egg

Nov 13, 2015
    Lavaca, Ark
    I'll join as well

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by